• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melting lardo

weedy

so...

I've many times stolen Michael White's brilliant idea of a Sea Urchin and Lardo Crostini

but no matter how thinly I have the lard sliced, I find it never melts evenly and perfectly over the top, the way his does.

It invariably curls at the edges and contracts as I melt it, no matter if I try it under the broiler or with a torch.

Anyone have any ideas or hints?

I'd suggest that if you were able to make multiple small holes across the whole surface of the lardo it wouldn't curl. In essence, it would be like using a micro version of a Jaccard tenderiser that cuts the fibers in meat to stop them from contracting and pushing out liquid.

There is a device that is used on skin (believe it or not) that would most likely work.

Type "derma micro needle roller" in google search. There are some very cheap ones on eBay.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Try in a microwave at low setting (around 200 W), using the rotating table and putting the crostini on the circumference of the table (if you put one at the center then it's heated unevenly due to the hot spots).

A torch gives strong and uneven heat, it's impossible to control the result on a thin slice of lardo.

Teo

Teo

I'll try the jaccarding approach. That's interesting. Thanks. 

A broiler or the searzall are relatively dispersed and consistent overhead heat sources but aren't much better in effect. 

I suspect Michael White uses a salamander (which I don't have) but I don't know. 

The prob with a microwave is that I don't want to cook the raw Uni underneath the Lardo, which would be inevitably cooking faster than the lardo is melting in that method. 

1. I am not sure you can actually melt lardo. You can get it to go very soft (if it is thin enough), but not melt like butter.

2. A heat gun is very hot. I don't think for what you need, you want it to be torch hot.

dcarch

You can put each lardo slice on a single small piece of parchment paper, microwave the lardo, then gently fold it over the uni.

Or you can use a hairdrier with a lot of patience.

Or you can tell your guests you invented a new technique to get "curly lardo".

Teo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Teo

the original, at Marea, is pretty melty... not runny like melted butter, but smooth and coated, like a grilled American cheese that's thin enough to see through.

I'm using paper thin slices, and the result is close... but not the smooth even coating he gets.

Mine come out more as if there is a "slice of melted lard on top", rather than completely covered, because of the curling.

these are the original:

marea.jpg

IMG_3019.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, weedy said:

,the original, at Marea, is pretty melty... not runny like melted butter, but smooth and coated, like a grilled American cheese that's thin enough to see through.

I'm using paper thin slices, and the result is close... but not the smooth even coating he gets.

Mine come out more as if there is a "slice of melted lard on top", rather than completely covered, because of the curling.

these are the original:

marea.jpg

IMG_3019.JPG

Weedy,   I was just watching an old episode of "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern,  season 6 episode 15 "NYC; Will work for Food" ".  Andrew is going to locations around the city and doing brief stints in NYC kitchens, one of which is Marea. This part of the episode is approximately 12 minutes in (taking into account commercials),  They do the Sea Urchin and Lardo Costini. Onto the toast , the urchin is placed, the lardo is a fairly large piece, big enough the it is folded in 1/2 and then placed on top  and put into a broiler (salamander?) as he says,  " for no more than 15 seconds".    The lardo is of course melted, but still showing a bit of opaqueness, not quite as transparent as yours seems to be.  Sorry if this is no help, but maybe see if you can find this particular episode.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, weedy said:

I'll try the jaccarding approach. That's interesting. Thanks. 

A broiler or the searzall are relatively dispersed and consistent overhead heat sources but aren't much better in effect. 

I suspect Michael White uses a salamander (which I don't have) but I don't know. 

The prob with a microwave is that I don't want to cook the raw Uni underneath the Lardo, which would be inevitably cooking faster than the lardo is melting in that method. 

You are correct about the salamander.

Just looked, type in the title just as I listed into You Tube,  the episode is there.. I just can't make a link, sorry.

Edited by caroled
i found the episode (log)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett