• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

thin , semi-flexible plastic for sous vide "boat"

rotuts

Ive started to SV fish.

I know Im very late to this game , because fish in my area is very expensive if they claim it to be fresh.

salmon at a ' good ' Fmonger might be 20 $$  and its not the freshness I like  

ie  has no aroma what so ever , or smell of the Deep Blue Sea

not the Cr*py Sea Shore

I know this as for some time going back to visit my family where I grew up 

S of SF , there was Cooks Seafoods in MenloPark.    the fish was still wiggling or it eventually went into their small SeaFood bistro.

no matter

I have had OK fish Fz from TJ's , paying careful attention to make sure the plastic casing is not punctured.  many are and that's 

bad for flavor  

Im looking for s thin , semi flexible plastic I can cut to place the filet on w seasoning , butter and then slide that into

the SV bag to keep everything flat.

what Driving me to Drink  ( MR of coruse )  is its the thing that shows up from time to time that you toss out as it came in something else !

f@KennethT 

thanks   that's what Ill use until I can find what Im sure comes and goes and is tossed out.

the SV Everythihng channel on YouTube has some nice Fish SV'd   they use Aluminum foil which Im reluctant to use.

Id like something , eventually , re-usable  

so tonight :  parchment paper it will be .

Im going to be Tossing and Turning  All Night  until it come to me what Ive tossed out over the years that was the plastic Im having

Visions Of

• Haha 1

Get some of those thin, colored (or clear) cutting mats like these: Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats and cut them to size.  Reusable.

Or a long metal spatula - prepare the fish on it, slide into bag, hold the far end of the fish through the bag and pull out the spatula.  Like these: Great Credentials new Long Grill Stainless Steel Spatulas...(Set of 2)

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I was going to say exactly what @mgaretz said re: the plastic mats. If you have WalMart in Boston, they sell a multi-pack of what they call "flexible cutting boards" that are exactly that, for a couple of bucks.

I have one given me at the Lodge outlet when I bought my skillets (which are still sitting on my dining room table, unseasoned, four months later...) that subs for a silicone lid on my biggest mixing pan or a roasting pan if I need to marinate or refrigerate something. It has birds on it.

The colors are, I guess, a bonus.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@rotuts, I haven't sued them as I don't have any cause to, but I haven't used them either.  I have used the spatula trick though and I have one of these: https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vacuum-seal-tool-stainless-steel-construction-prep-plate/ but I hardly ever use it as these days the wife wants most everything unseasoned when I cook it.   I usually buy my salmon from Sam's Club - I think their frozen filets are very good quality, not fishy and are already individually sealed.  I just pop them in the SV and season afterwards.

@kayb, the different colors are supposed to be for different food groups to avoid cross-contamination.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs