• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eclipse Cocktails

BarinaCraft

The first coast-to-coast total solar eclipse to travel across the continental United States in 99 years is definitely cause for celebration. We added some backlighting to a 1930s classic cocktail to try to truly achieve the look of a total solar eclipse in a glass. Here's a link to the drink and some fun facts about the celestial event happening on August 21, 2017.

eclipse-cocktail-with-olive.jpg.c8b1d9f88f4b816f54b26d15d016b80c.jpg

Does anyone else have any eclipse party ideas?

• Like 1

We're not getting enough of it where I live for me to get excited about it. They're saying maybe 10% for this area. Not worth a party to me... not even sure I'll walk outside (I'll be at work) to take a look.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I will be in the 90% or so zone in Atlanta or so I hear and as I will be at a liquor and beer show that afternoon I will definitely be drinking! Might even find time to go out and look for a moment or two. In the early 80s a total eclipse zone essentially went right over my house near Atlanta so I have "been there, done that" and have no great desire to join the throngs predicted to gather for this one. So that's my excuse for a somewhat limited level of interest!

Plus did I mention I will be drinking that afternoon? For free??? :D

• Like 2

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2