• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to Dallas - what not to miss

Kerry Beal

Heading out in a few weeks for the Dallas Chocolate Festival. I suspect we will have a couple of nights to find dinners and wonder if there are some places I should consider and be looking to get reservations ahead of time?

We will be staying downtown and likely won't bother with a car.

Al Biernat's has a wonderful steak. They make a port/foie gras sauce that is to die for. 

Ate at Cafe Pacific a few years ago and had the best halibut I've ever had in my life. It was over roasted corn polenta. The waiter kept asking if he could take my plate, and I kept saying, "No," because I kept thinking if I waited a bit I could take just one...more...bite...

Both are in Highland Park, a short Uber ride. I think it was 10 bucks last year; maybe not that much.

You need reservations for Al's. Cafe Pacific, maybe, maybe not. Wouldn't hurt. 

Cafe Brazil (several locations, including one in Deep Ellum, adjacent to downtown and walkable) has marvelous coffee and a good breakfast, including some Brazilian dishes.  I still order my coffee beans from there. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

26 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Mansion on turtle creek is a classic.  Old school.  

I'm seeing a lot of what looks like old school steak house places. Perhaps I should be thinking steak!

• 2 weeks later...

Pecan Lodge for some bbq.  Mesa for some incredible Vera Cruzan Mexican, think seafood.  The mole, OMG.  And I second the CAfe Brazil for breakfast.  Good coffee, and I have not had anything there that I didn't like.  Tell Sandor hello for me.  I would be there but I'm scheduled to judge bbq in Shawnee, OK on that date.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Anyplace that isn't underwater.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

As it turns out I will be in Dallas, Bedford actually, doing my food judging gig.  Saturday is Steak Cookoff Association's steak gig  Bedford Blues and BBQ Festival steaks .  Then Sunday it will switch over to BBQ.  Bedford Bluesfest &nbsp .  I will not be judging the pork steak cookoff.  Any suggestions for a decent breakfast in the Bedford, Euless, Hurst area?   Does not have to be fancy.  

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So @joiei- what would be your suggestion for what to eat at Pecan Lodge?

Brisket is my go to.   When in Texas, brisket.  Then beef ribs, usually one does me in. 

Edited by joiei (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great time judging wings and steak at the Steak Cookoff Association portion of the annual Bedford Blues and BBQ festival.  Because the American Royal changed their date to that weekend a lot of the bbq teams went to Kansas City that would of otherwise been in Bedford.  The entries in the KCBS bbq cookoff on Sunday was not as stellar as in years past.  

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Heading to Dallas again on Thursday. A ran into a fellow foodie at the Gift Show a few weeks ago who is a Dallas native and asked her to send me a list of food suggestions. Here's what she came up with - 

Cafe Momentum- new American doubles as a non profit helping at risk youth learn culinary skills. Would need a reservation

Flora Street Cafe-modern southwestern great food a little pricey

Tei-An japanese - great reputation but I haven't been 

Meso Maya - Mexican from Puebla and Oaxaca area 

Sammy's BBQ - BBQ place. Casual. But a great place. Check hours. 

EL Fenix- old family chain of Tex-Mex. 

Stampede 66. Stephen Pyle cafe of upscale Texas Comfort food

The Farmers Market on the south end of downtown also has interesting food

Mud Hen is casual and healthy.  Lots of organic and veggie options. Brunch lunch place. 

Pecan Lodge in Deep ELum has great BBQ but can be a wait. 

What do you think - agree, disagree - any other suggestions?

• Like 1

Three, two in Highland Park and one a local chain all over town.

1. Al Biernat's. Damn fine steak.

2. Cafe Pacific. Have only eaten there once, but I had sea bass over roasted corn risotto with ancho cream sauce that may have been the best non-shellfish seafood I ever ate in my life. I got through as much as I could put away, but when the waiter came to take my plate, I wouldn't let him...kept hoping I could eat just one...more...bite.

3. Cafe Brazil. Good breakfasts and decent lunch if you're in a hurry, and the best coffee in the world. I order my beans from there.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I really like Mesa, two locations, the chef/owners are from Veracruz.  The seafood is great.  And the mole is delicious.  Tell Sandor Larry from Tulsa said HI.  

• Like 1