• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farm Fresh

(Re: Thundering Hooves.) They had a table at the University Farmer's Market last year where you could buy low quantity. I bought a chicken and a chuck roast from them. The chicken was okay. Nothing that memorable. I haven't tried the chuck roast but plan on doing a slow braise with it sometime soon.

Just had to pipe up here after reading this comment about Thundering Hooves' chicken. I'm on my fourth one this year, and each one has been amazingly succulent. It's hard for me to try to do anything else other than roasting it because it's so good just on its own. Good as in delicious chickeny juices streaming down my chin good. And the bones and neck make great stock. :wub: None of the Rosie, Rocky Jr. or any of the other organic brands even come close IMO.

I haven't tried any of their other meat yet on account of it not being available, but I've got an order pending for this summer. Can't wait.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I don't know much about getting home-grown beef, but the best resource in Seattle for pork is The Butcher Shop in Ballard on the corner of 20th and 65th NW. They usually have spare ribs, loins and shoulders always in stock. Anything else you need they order. They have a good relationship with a relatively local farm and you can get suckling pig to whole pig, whole legs and pork fat. If you'd like, they'll even cure a ham for you and then you can smoke it! Really damn tasty.

Someone correct me if I have the wrong place in mind - but I believe they closed a few months back. Sorry to say.

(Re: Thundering Hooves.) They had a table at the University Farmer's Market last year where you could buy low quantity.

Just had to pipe up here after reading this comment about Thundering Hooves' chicken. I'm on my fourth one this year, and each one has been amazingly succulent.

<snip>

I haven't tried any of their other meat yet on account of it not being available, but I've got an order pending for this summer. Can't wait.

We've bought grass-fed beef from Thundering Hooves at the Ballard farmer's market last year. Maybe I am too much of a city-slicker, but the steak especially (and even the ground beef) were just too gamey for my taste. If you like really strongly-flavored meats, I'm sure you could get used to the difference, but don't try feeding it to people who are expecting 'regular' (i.e. corn-finished) beef. :huh: I might try their ground beef in place of ground lamb in recipes where the stornger taste would be an asset.

I'll have to try their chickens. I actually like the chickens you get in Europe, which have a lot more flavor.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Hi,

I've been doing a little research on the question of getting farm fresh meat & produce in Seattle (& points beyond). Here's what I've come up with.

Seattle Tilth put out this listing of local veggy, fruit & egg producers:

http://seattletilth.org/activities/2004CSADirectory.htm

Fresh wasabi! http://www.wasabifarm.com/

Fresh Beef! http://skagitriveranch.com/Skagit_River_Ranch.htm

I would also be willing to go in on a pig or lamb with someone. Email me.

Alan