• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Yeast

lindag

6 minutes ago, cdh said:

Dead link.  I'm not even sure what "organic" might mean in the context of yeast...  by my reckoning, all yeast are organic.

Thanks, I fixed it.

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Dead link.  I'm not even sure what "organic" might mean in the context of yeast...  by my reckoning, all yeast are organic.

There's an explanation on the Amazon page linked, if you scroll down. As with organic maple syrup, it seems to be more about the chemicals (etc) used in the production process. 

I'm not entirely certain I care that much, tbh. If I was making/marketing certified organic baked goods, I probably would. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

All yeast is organic, surely. It wouldn't work otherwise.

What the description says is that the yeast is processed without chemicals. Utter nonsense. Everything is chemicals. Don't they use water (H20, as I recall).

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

All yeast is organic, surely. It wouldn't work otherwise.

What the description says is that the yeast is processed without chemicals. Utter nonsense. Everything is chemicals. Don't they use water (H20, as I recall).

I don't know, liuzhou, because there is little transparency these days from the food chemists, bean counters and chemical companies :oseeking to control our food supply these days, at least in this king of the capitalists country. The government is much more friendly to business than to consumers and seems to acquiesce to business lobbyists for all manner of things that are terrible for their constituents.

Granted in order to work, yeast as a living organism, must be alive, but I've got a three pack of envelopes of fast rise yeast that also has sorbitan monostearate and ascorbic acid. It's the former I'm concerned about. I think it's some kind of synthetic wax, and it makes me wonder why we would want to eat it. The other is just synthetic Vitamin C, and I have lots of recipes for baking that call for lemon juice or vinegar for a higher rise.

> ^ . . ^ <

Sorbitan is derived from sorbitol, the sugar alcohol used as a sweetener. Its role in yeast, from what I've been given to understand, is to help speed the absorption of water through the shell of dried, dead yeast cells that encapsulates the living yeast. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning