• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New technology is helping to find fake food

KennethT

I don't know if this is the proper forum to put this, but I saw an interesting article talking about how blockchain technologies, like Bitcoin, are helping to track food shipments and find sources of fake food...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-06/spies-blockchain-and-alibaba-beating-china-s-fake-food-scourge

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

On 8/7/2017 at 11:33 AM, KennethT said:

I don't know if this is the proper forum to put this, but I saw an interesting article talking about how blockchain technologies, like Bitcoin, are helping to track food shipments and find sources of fake food...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-06/spies-blockchain-and-alibaba-beating-china-s-fake-food-scourge

Actually Bitcoin in itself will not be the one blockchain that will help with traceability :)
But Vechain or Wabi might become a leader one day.

People are talking about using blockchain technologies to expedite shipping more generally... an un-fakeable chain of custody for containers and their contents.  The context I've seen is using the ethereum "smart contract" functionality to make a more competitive market for haulers.*  But being able to know where your stuff originated from, who handled it, and where it went would certainly be useful in fighting fraud as to origin... 

rotuts pic of the Hamossy is not fake so much as it is trademark infringement... It's obviously not Hennessey, but is close enough to cause confusion... which would be an infringement on Hennessey's mark. I think the sort of food fraud this technology could help with is more the "Italian olive oil" that was pressed in Greece, bulk shipped to Italy, and bottled there. A real Italian olive oil would have a chain of custody starting at its source, whereas a fake would have a chain of custody starting at a port... 

*I think it is a fool's errand to disintermediate the hauling companies, because people are untrustworthy and letting somebody with nobody vouching for their honesty take off with  your shipment based on an implied contract they allegedly agreed to by scanning the QR code and booping the accept button on their  handheld widget is a recipe for lots and lots of hijacked shipments.  I could see a fine business opportunity in ransoming shipments back to their intended destination... 

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 7/22/2019 at 9:33 PM, CryptoManiaks said:

Actually Bitcoin in itself will not be the one blockchain that will help with traceability :)
But Vechain or Wabi might become a leader one day.

My take is that if you read 'mutant rabbits from Mars' every where you see blockchain, you'll be just as accurate.

• Haha 1