• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 04/08/2017 at 2:04 PM, Kerala said:

lamb gizzards apparently

Lambs don't have gizzards. Only birds and some reptiles do. Mammals never.

On 04/08/2017 at 2:04 PM, Kerala said:

Karimeen is what I always thought translated to Kingfish, but google offers Pearl Spot or Green Chromide.

Remember that Google offers nothing but a listing of what other people offer.

I often have to translate obscure food items (from Chinese) and find Google more often than not to be useless, I search for something and get results that are miles away from what I am looking for, or I get things which are well meant but obviously wrong.

If I were to put on my website now that kanmeen is raw donkey flesh dressed with  pineapple juice, that will turn up on Google, too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

23 hours ago, Kerala said:

lamb gizzards apparently

Lambs don't have gizzards. Only birds and some reptiles do. Mammals never.

23 hours ago, Kerala said:

Karimeen is what I always thought translated to Kingfish, but google offers Pearl Spot or Green Chromide.

Remember that Google offers nothing but a listing of what other people offer.

I often have to translate obscure food items (from Chinese) and find Google more than not useless, I search for something and get results that are miles away from what I am looking for, or I get things which are well meant but obviously wrong.

If I were to put on my website now, that kanmeen is raw donkey flesh dressed with  pineapple juice, that will turn up on Google, too.