• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

Airline Food-The good, the bad and the ugly

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

And they have The Clipper :

https://www.clipperflyingboats.com

FDR took it.

Indiana Jones took it

before my time

I didn't take it.

My Loss,

...and a woman I worked with was a stewardess on the clipper when she was younger.  She actually had to hide the fact she had gotten married until she began to show with her first child.  She was a gteat resource for a bunch of papers at the library for me as she was a primary source.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Ha! 1965- the beginning of charter flights to Europe. I think we had to bring our own  - no food service that I can recall...

Hey, I took a charter flight to Europe in the 1960's.  Dinner and wine were exceptional.  Never mind that my friend and I had had a full dinner and more than a little wine at JFK before boarding.

• Like 3

This is an interesting discussion thread at flyertalk.com with the menus from hundreds of flights and dozens of different airlines.  There are both older and newer menus and each post has the aircraft type and destination info.  Not a lot of pictures but interesting menus.  There is also a section of flyertalk.com for trip reports from frequent fliers that does show some photos of what airlines are currently serving.  Most of it looks awful with the exception being on long-haul international first class.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/833998-all-airline-ft-menu-collection.html

• Like 1

when I was in HS, mid-60's  I became friends w one of my father's graduate students

as he was an avid wood-worker as I had that interests in JH and HS.

his wife was a stewardess , and also " single '  she was on a United route that was coveted :

SFO to Hawaii.   she fit the " certain mold '  what was determined back then for United Stewardess's

the route was coveted for time considerations , layovers and passenger types in first class .

there was  a fringe benefit :  all the macadamia nuts you could carry off the plane 

more or less.  macadamia nuts were rare on The Mainland  , unless you had a United Connection .

• Like 4

Reminds me of a story.    I had a roommate who was the world's biggest ditz.     Very bright, but her mind on the moon or Mars.    She asked me for a ride to her flight attendant interview at SF airport.    She got the job and told me, "If you're ever on one of my flights, I'll give you the best service you'll ever have."    I responded, "If you find me on one of your flights, just let me know before we take off so i can get off the plane."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

I was in airline management for 28 years for Horizon/Alaska.  The most senior flight attendant I supervised had started working for Northwest "Orient" in 1957.  She was in the group that was forced to quit if they got married or pregnant.  Some years later she came to work at Horizon in the early 1980's.  She was part of a lawsuit claiming they were wrongly terminated on marriage. It got all the way to the Supreme Court and the NW Flight Attendants won a large compensation. She had tons of photos, old menus and great stories to share.  I remember a photo of her with her crew that flew on the DC-6, (not a jet), from Seattle to Honolulu.  Now that was some trek.  And all the wonderful food went along in those days.

• Like 6

Seated comfortably in his business seat aboard an A380 headed for France, husband mused about commuting from Butte to SFO on a DC3, often in winter.     The changes we live through...

eGullet member #80.

@chefmd - the first class lounge pictures are another post where we need a "WOW" response button!  

@rotuts - I remember those macadamia nuts!  Growing up my parents best friends were a couple I envied so much.  She was a travel agent, so got free rooms everywhere in the world and he was an executive with United.  Part of his job was flying on every Washington Redskins flight.  He also had seemingly unlimited mini packets of macadamia nuts.  I'm not sure which I envied more!  It was my first exposure to them and I was forever hooked. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1