• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airline Food: The good, the bad and the ugly

2 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks! That's good to know, I like a good negroni, never had one with mezcal.

I like it too.  Also my first time for mezcal and I liked it a lot.  They used Del Maguey Vuda

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 12:35 AM, ElsieD said:

Nor have I, but then I'm usually in the cheap seats so no access to these clubs/lounges.

My husband travels a lot for work so ve use miles and upgrades to go on vacation.  Especially for long flights.  

• Like 3

Flying back home to Washington DC from Tokyo Narita airport.  I had high expectations for ANA lounge, but alas, it was sad looking.  One of the sandwiches was labeled “potato”, it had mashed potatoes between slices of bread.

5002CF24-FF3F-4996-88E5-E288453BA1C7.thumb.jpeg.895a645d11f711a0704d3d64bfa43bc1.jpeg

464D5292-AF4C-4A69-9ABA-2F9875AE648F.thumb.jpeg.3ce14fdf92ff453829fff4cede46d620.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

Flying back home to Washington DC from Tokyo Narita airport.  I had high expectations for ANA lounge, but alas, it was sad looking.  One of the sandwiches was labeled “potato”, it had mashed potatoes between slices of bread.

Kind of a quasi-pierogy, I suppose. :P

Actually, out in Alberta pierogy pizza is a thing. Mashed potatoes, bacon bits, caramelized onions, etc. I've never had one myself, but I can see how it would work once you get past the actual idea of it.

Hmmm. Google tells me this is fairly common in the American midwest, as well, especially around Pittsburgh. So I guess this isn't news to a lot of you.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting from further back in the plane 😉  I can say that the food in steerage continues to not be so good.  Here is British Airways to London in "World Traveller Plus" (basically, premium economy).  I ordered an Asian vegetarian meal.  Behold...

bos-lhr.thumb.jpg.9a9986ceb19a9d8c9bd4003fdd917132.jpg

So on the left, well, I am not sure.  It kind of tasted like falafel, but with curry sauce.  To the right, okra and cauliflower curry.  Naan and a random roll.  Dessert was galub jamun.  This meal was basically inedible with way too much salt but I was not hungry having eaten before getting on the plane so no big deal.  

On the way back, I switched to a lacto-ovo vegetarian meal out of consideration for the people around me who might not like curry scent.  I did not think of that for the flight over.  Here it is:

lhr-bos.thumb.jpg.c0ae46d1147f6d428430ba0846618aea.jpg

This is the same vegetarian meal they offer in business class, though I am sure it is presented in a nicer way.  It's supposed to be ricotta gnudi.  Note the burned left side.  I saved the calories and made an omelet when I got home 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Reporting from further back in the plane 😉  I can say that the food in steerage continues to not be so good.  Here is British Airways to London in "World Traveller Plus" (basically, premium economy).  I ordered an Asian vegetarian meal.  Behold...

This reminds me of a time, back in the '80s, when after traveling to several meetings with colleagues from India, my meal preferences were somehow recorded by several airlines to match my friends':  Hindu Vegetarian.  

Even when traveling on my own, I'd be served that meal and since meals were served on most longer flights, it happened pretty often.  I don't remember ever getting curry though.  It was more often a haphazard mix of the non-meat components of the normal meal plus extra slices of bread, cheese, hard boiled eggs and random pieces of fruit.  

I never  bothered  to call and request the change by phone so that preference followed me for years until sometime in the '90's when it became possible to access that info on websites.  

I think I left it because it was often entertaining to watch the flight attendants walking the aisles looking for the person getting the Hindu meal and never suspecting that it was me, who certainly didn't look the part xD

• Haha 5

Boy, it would be nice to know what the various options would get you on any given flight. I prefer vegetarian, but I don't eat eggs, so that meal option is often a problem for me. Being confined to my seat and surrounded by people having eggs (if a breakfast flight) is my own personal hell. I would welcome the smell of curry.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I havent benn on a in a long long time

I don't miss it at all , esp now w the check in etc

most often for the last several years it was SW , and I brought my own sandwiches etc on board

I didn't mind , as the fares were so much cheaper than United / AA from BOS to SFO and detour.

this topic brought back fond memories :

I used to fly standby all the time from SFO to BOS.   

I never got bumped.   and I figured out how to get an actual seat by cheek in time.  w legroom.

the meals were Chicken or Beef , and the beef was filet mignon , green beans and a potato item.

from time to time , they had extra meals.  these were the Vietnam war days.  

people , younger , began treating the uniformed Marines a little huffily.  

This I found to be misguided.  this is not a political statement

if you are that age group , and male , you will undertand that at the first lottery , my SS number turned out to be  4.

the Uniformed Marines got any extra meals from the United stewardess .  

I was of course , in cattle but it was much better back then  you can't imagine the tons of stuff I

Carried On , and the stewardess's help me cram it all in the overheads !

then I began to get an extra filet  from time to time.

the college unmniform at that time for me , in the Cold East

was an old Navy PeaCoat that you carefully selected near a Navy Base as they were sold by 

Ex-Navy Enlisted men.  they were to die for  ( no pun there ) and there were several Navy Bases in the Bay Area

maybe the stewardess 's saw me shovel my PeaCoat in the overhead bin.  can't say

I had a second Filet Mignon  3 out of my 6 trips a year   for the last two years of college

I didn't mind at all.

Though no young, but amusing,  Pinot Noir was offered.

and I still have that PeaCoat

BTW  I still have my Father's long Navy Winter Officers coat from WWII.  with real heavy brass USNavy buttons.

very little wear.  he served in the Pacific  for 4 years.

the Dept of the Navy , and esp the Marines  know a lot about " Fancy Dress "  for sure.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Boy, it would be nice to know what the various options would get you on any given flight. I prefer vegetarian, but I don't eat eggs, so that meal option is often a problem for me. Being confined to my seat and surrounded by people having eggs (if a breakfast flight) is my own personal hell. I would welcome the smell of curry.

Most of the airlines list the options on their websites, like this one on United. And if you google the name of the meal and the airline name, you can usually find a bunch of photos.

None of that is going to help keep the eggs away from your seat mates though :D

Edited by blue_dolphin
forgot link (log)

I generally fly Southwest, and don't have nearly the occasion to fly as I once did. But I became quite a connoisseur of peanuts and pretzels!

I also discovered that (a) Starbucks has the best yogurt/fruit/granola parfait in most airports; (b) Paschal's in the departure area and in C Concourse in Atlanta is the best airport restaurant extant, followed by O'Brycki's at BWI and Pappadeux at Houston Bush. Nuts on Clark at Midway is the best snack shop.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've mentioned before that I worked in management for 28 years at Horizon Air which is the regional sister carrier of Alaska Airlines.  One thing we always prided our service on was that we served complimentary micro-brews with a focus on Pacific Northwest breweries.  Well I've been gone for three years now and I no longer fly but I saw on their website that they are serving the Ninkasi Ale right now on Horizon.  I'd say that's a pretty decent service for a regional flight along with the requisite bag of snack mix.

untitled.png

• Like 2

Horizon Air was also the first airline to serve Starbucks.  Way back in the late 1980's, this fellow named Howard Schultz was starting a coffee company in Seattle and since we were a Seattle based company we linked up with Howard to serve his coffee onboard.  And we also served it free in the boarding areas.  I remember they had strict brewing standards for the coffee.  Passengers loved it from the start, especially since it was a Seattle company.  At the time every corner of your town wasn't bordered with drive in coffee stands.  Well we all know how the story of Starbucks has unfolded.  I love that piece of history.  But I don't love working in that stressful business!

• Like 3

I rarely fly. When I did the odd 5 day jaunt to Singapore on Cathay Pacific I admired the thoughtful food pesentation but what cracked me up completely was after the lights were dimmed you coud go and heat a Cup O' Noodles. I think many passengers found that the most comforting. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

I havent benn on a in a long long time

BTW  I still have my Father's long Navy Winter Officers coat from WWII.  with real heavy brass USNavy buttons.

very little wear.  he served in the Pacific  for 4 years.

the Dept of the Navy , and esp the Marines  know a lot about " Fancy Dress "  for sure.

Having not much to do with food except that I heard the story at a retirement party at the Institute where I once worked:

The honored retiree recounted how he first came to the US from Germany.  He had been told the weather in NY was cold.  He disembarked from the plane in the middle of a NY summer wearing his father's army issued coat from fighting on the Russian front.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou