• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

David Ross

Airline Food-The good, the bad and the ugly

This HAS to be the worst. A choice between chicken gumbo or lentil chili. On first class from EWR to SMF on United. Like neither is acceptable for a cross country flight. I almost asked if there were kids meals. Horrible.  Why not just pass Bean-o around? This had to be revenge move on the crew that had to deal with turning the plane around that was essentially a gas bomb. 

IMG_0192.JPG

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

So this is the control panel on a airplane galley oven.  I'd love to know how they use the steam function...and what the instructions are for reheating.

054.jpg

• Like 5

Back in the late 1960s I flew from time to time from Denver to Albuquerque to visit Santa Fe. The meals were unmemorable--some sort of mystery meat mostly--but each time peas were served as the vegetable. Now flying north-south along the Rockies is bumpy at the best of times and alarming once in a while. When we landed at ABQ the cabin was littered with peas that had gotten away from diners because of the turbulence. It was hard not to squash them as we exited the aircraft. I sympathized with the cleaning crew.

This was Western Airlines--"the ONLY way to fly!" Long gone, as are so many of them.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember flying into Albuquerque in the 1970's.  No memory of the airline food but the turbulence I shall never forget.  That is one long runway.  (I'm told because of the bombs.)  Successful landing required several passes at the runway.  Almost hitting the restaurant where we dined that night.

But I do remember another occasion dining in Albuquerque opening night of a Chinese restaurant -- my coworker and I had no idea it was opening night and wondered why so many patrons were wearing formal clothes.  Excellent fish and the waiter complimented me on enjoying the cheeks.  Remember this is Texas.

A recent long flight on AA. Food was just fine.

The filet was between M and MR even!

011.thumb.jpg.fccf97d4e8b5472b009924a6f528c1db.jpg

0141.thumb.jpg.59aa384d532f96374ae671fc9e7ed02e.jpg

019.thumb.jpg.a5d34cebb4855192f1cee65f880168c8.jpg

020.thumb.jpg.1d95ccc36a3e167b2fcd056f3fdfb622.jpg

And the return trip

Beet cured salmon was a nice touch

045.thumb.jpg.78bb04737b747a3ae5ccbd459a09968d.jpg

A British chef's idea of barbecued short rib.  Odd but tasty.

050.thumb.jpg.0579d5ebc87904b5cef62fd229dd72e2.jpg

051.thumb.jpg.311f3254af3b0f91cf5453200be61a2f.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich

055.thumb.jpg.6cf6d4aafacb3e734ca737d2e809a772.jpg

• Like 6

@gfweb

wow.  does indeed look nice.

what's in those two BoozeBottles ?

are they doubles each , as they are no longer the old fashioned round ones I remember from

the Last century.

and what's in the little yellow bottle w the paper seal on it ?

Olive Oil ?

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

wow.  does indeed look nice.

what's in those two BoozeBottles ?

are they doubles each , as they are no longer the old fashioned round ones I remember from

the Last century.

and what's in the little yellow bottle w the paper seal on it ?

Olive Oil ?

Woodford Reserve bourbon. A recent upgrade from the lighter fluid that Jack Daniels bottles.  Just singles of a different shape.

Exactly right...OO

• Like 1

@gfweb

still think they are doubles.

AA knows what makes AA food Taste Good !

@rotuts I just blew up the photo. They are 50cc.

And they did improve everything!

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

mmexport1516332707264.thumb.jpg.c9fadaadb52764665d6f6bc7a0b549d9.jpg

"Fried" noodles with pork and vegetables on a domestic flight from Shanghai to Nanning, yesterday. Not bad at all, although I didn't really need a meal on a two hour flight.

• Like 3