• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airline Food: The good, the bad and the ugly

This HAS to be the worst. A choice between chicken gumbo or lentil chili. On first class from EWR to SMF on United. Like neither is acceptable for a cross country flight. I almost asked if there were kids meals. Horrible.  Why not just pass Bean-o around? This had to be revenge move on the crew that had to deal with turning the plane around that was essentially a gas bomb. 

IMG_0192.JPG

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the late 1960s I flew from time to time from Denver to Albuquerque to visit Santa Fe. The meals were unmemorable--some sort of mystery meat mostly--but each time peas were served as the vegetable. Now flying north-south along the Rockies is bumpy at the best of times and alarming once in a while. When we landed at ABQ the cabin was littered with peas that had gotten away from diners because of the turbulence. It was hard not to squash them as we exited the aircraft. I sympathized with the cleaning crew.

This was Western Airlines--"the ONLY way to fly!" Long gone, as are so many of them.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I remember flying into Albuquerque in the 1970's.  No memory of the airline food but the turbulence I shall never forget.  That is one long runway.  (I'm told because of the bombs.)  Successful landing required several passes at the runway.  Almost hitting the restaurant where we dined that night.

But I do remember another occasion dining in Albuquerque opening night of a Chinese restaurant -- my coworker and I had no idea it was opening night and wondered why so many patrons were wearing formal clothes.  Excellent fish and the waiter complimented me on enjoying the cheeks.  Remember this is Texas.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A recent long flight on AA. Food was just fine.

The filet was between M and MR even!

011.thumb.jpg.fccf97d4e8b5472b009924a6f528c1db.jpg

0141.thumb.jpg.59aa384d532f96374ae671fc9e7ed02e.jpg

019.thumb.jpg.a5d34cebb4855192f1cee65f880168c8.jpg

020.thumb.jpg.1d95ccc36a3e167b2fcd056f3fdfb622.jpg

And the return trip

Beet cured salmon was a nice touch

045.thumb.jpg.78bb04737b747a3ae5ccbd459a09968d.jpg

A British chef's idea of barbecued short rib.  Odd but tasty.

050.thumb.jpg.0579d5ebc87904b5cef62fd229dd72e2.jpg

051.thumb.jpg.311f3254af3b0f91cf5453200be61a2f.jpg

Pulled pork sandwich

055.thumb.jpg.6cf6d4aafacb3e734ca737d2e809a772.jpg

• Like 10

@gfweb

wow.  does indeed look nice.

what's in those two BoozeBottles ?

are they doubles each , as they are no longer the old fashioned round ones I remember from

the Last century.

and what's in the little yellow bottle w the paper seal on it ?

Olive Oil ?

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

wow.  does indeed look nice.

what's in those two BoozeBottles ?

are they doubles each , as they are no longer the old fashioned round ones I remember from

the Last century.

and what's in the little yellow bottle w the paper seal on it ?

Olive Oil ?

Woodford Reserve bourbon. A recent upgrade from the lighter fluid that Jack Daniels bottles.  Just singles of a different shape.

Exactly right...OO

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's just not airline food that can make you sick:

"Why you should never order ice on a plane"

Ice is typically made from the plane's supply of tap water, which is kept in tanks that have been found to breed bacteria. 
Even flight attendants refuse to drink anything made with an aircraft's tap water.

Forewarned is fair warned. :(

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

What was the blueberry thing? And were the edamame really as decrepit as they appear in the photo?

I have no idea what the blueberry thing was. I didn't eat it. I loathe blueberries. Not many foods I can say that about, but...

(Probably blueberry flavoured, thin over-sweet yoghurt.)

Yes, the edamame were that bad. And inedible.

Like I said, it was New Year's Eve and the  crew and caterers just wanted to go home. Fortunately it's a relatively short flight and a meal wasn't really necessary.

• Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We fly United from Tampa to Guadalajara (connection in Houston) 4 or 5 times a year, business/first class.  

Each flight is around 2 hours.  We never get a meal on the US leg.  If it's a morning flight out of TPA we get a heated scone.  On an evening flight we just get a choice of up-branded pre-packed chips, cookies, energy bars and bananas.  

We almost always get a hot meal on the international leg.  Though on early AM (before 9AM) flights out of GDL, instead of a hot breakfast, we get a cold platter that includes a decent sweet roll, yogurt, fresh juice, granola, fresh fruit, coffee, etc.  Afternoon flights into or out of GDL start with hot mixed nuts (this is often the highlight).  We usually get a choice of a chicken or beef entrée; some have been quite good, others, meh.  And of course free booze on all biz/1st class flights.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I totally omitted "pictures" and saw, "my friend sent me these...:" Carry on.:$

• Haha 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 3 weeks later...

Sichuan Airlines flight from Nanning, China to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. 20th April 2018.

20180420_105935.thumb.jpg.30a4ccdbbe2a8363f07f77f88c4dd54c.jpg

This doesn't look at all appealing but actually tasted not bad. L - R Fish, Rice, Pork.

20180420_110247.thumb.jpg.7f7933d065cc530611ad201594a72514.jpg

The rice was accompanied by this pickled kholrabi.

20180420_110558.thumb.jpg.895d07495c3122e420a7b22753338b1e.jpg

and when I wasn't paying attention the attendant dropped this piece of corn on top of my rice dish. I detest corn.

20180420_111002.thumb.jpg.37be2845ee5a75ed6aa3fe6f106f97ff.jpg

A sweet bread roll.

20180420_110955.thumb.jpg.eeb8fc1edf76c0ecf96f7bc92f5dc949.jpg

Dessert; Herbal Jelly. I always think this sounds more like some quack medicine than food but it's OK.

For liquid lubrication:

20180420_112039.thumb.jpg.58f11874048212047f15310166c06a92.jpg

This brand is usually translated as Snow Beer on its cans, but the Chinese actually says Snowflake.

The flight attendant brought me a second can with which I ate this packet of peanuts which was also included in the meal.

20180420_112316.thumb.jpg.4bfd14311ea6031110244d1f8a77b18c.jpg

All in all not too bad.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto