• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I believe that it doesn't really have much to do with the airline itself.  I'm not sure, but I think airlines contract out the food service to companies in each locale they offer service. So, for example, I just flew Singapore Air from NY to Singapore direct - the food was very different on the two flights - so they're not bringing food from Singapore to NY for the return trip, they're getting it from a NY based supplier. Some airlines are better than others probably because they use different service providers or pay a higher price - as in you get what you pay for.

I understand and agree with what you write.    But there was such a difference in quality on the different directions, same airline and service level.     I assumed they probably had a fixed budget per passenger and that the money just went farther at one terminal than the other.    When the dollar was 1 and euro 1.30, there is a huge difference in available product quality.    Now, not so much.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I believe that it doesn't really have much to do with the airline itself.  I'm not sure, but I think airlines contract out the food service to companies in each locale they offer service. So, for example, I just flew Singapore Air from NY to Singapore direct - the food was very different on the two flights - so they're not bringing food from Singapore to NY for the return trip, they're getting it from a NY based supplier. Some airlines are better than others probably because they use different service providers or pay a higher price - as in you get what you pay for.

I understand and agree with what you write.    But there was such a difference in quality on the different directions, same airline and service level.     I assumed they probably had a fixed budget per passenger and that the money just sent farther at one terminal than the other.    When the dollar was 1 and euro 1.30, there is a huge difference in available product quality.    Now, not so much.