• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 6/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, ProfessionalHobbit said:

I'll have to read through this from the very beginning later, but a recent flight on *gag* United made me pleasantly surprised since that airline is known for costcutting as a way of life. It was an early morning flight from NOLA to SFO and we had a choice of hot breakfast sandwiches ... in economy, no less, along with the usual selection of fruit juices, coffee and tea.

Perhaps it's to compete with Delta which seems to have stepped up their food service game in recent years. I recall a flight from SFO to JFK last year where they literally showered us with food for the entire duration of the trip - from lunch to snacks which included ice cream bars and fruit. I can only imagine what the folks in business class and first class receive.

United has done a lot to upgrade the service from SFO and EWR. 

That said, I flew first/business/ whatever class it is that has the fully reclining seats from SFO to EWR a week and a half ago and will do the return trip in a few days. 

The meals were ok. They did offer a lot of snacks.  You can kind of make out the menu from this picture. The bedding was nice— from Saks. They always serve a sundae as a dessert. That’s gotten old, IMO. 

6723FE3D-210D-46A6-BAA5-8CAC9E0BF702.jpeg

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

On 6/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, ProfessionalHobbit said:

I'll have to read through this from the very beginning later, but a recent flight on *gag* United made me pleasantly surprised since that airline is known for costcutting as a way of life. It was an early morning flight from NOLA to SFO and we had a choice of hot breakfast sandwiches ... in economy, no less, along with the usual selection of fruit juices, coffee and tea.

Perhaps it's to compete with Delta which seems to have stepped up their food service game in recent years. I recall a flight from SFO to JFK last year where they literally showered us with food for the entire duration of the trip - from lunch to snacks which included ice cream bars and fruit. I can only imagine what the folks in business class and first class receive.

United has done a lot to upgrade the service from SFO and EWR. 

That said, I flew fists/ business- whatever class it is that has the fully reclining seats from SFO to EWR a week and a half ago and will do the return trip in a few days. 

The meals were ok. They did offer a lot of snacks.  You can kind of make out the menu from this picture. The bedding was nice— from Saks. 

6723FE3D-210D-46A6-BAA5-8CAC9E0BF702.jpeg