• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you follow YouTube cooking vids ?

rotuts

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

Here is my favorite Chicken cutting video!

That's one of my favorites as well. It's like watching Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat throw down the ultimate fatality on an unsuspecting bird. It's one of the very few videos I've found that demonstrates the proper use of a honesuki / garasuki. I must have watched it a 20 times. There are lots of fun Related Videos on YouTube to explore.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Sam The Cooking Guy is quite comical. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRj3Tcy1Zoz3rcf83nW5kw

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This woman is so freaking gangster, I don't even have words. Since there are no words, here are some videos making food for the Spring Festival and the Year of the Pig.

And here's a non-cooking video where she goes out into a bamboo forest, cuts down some trees, and turns them into furniture.

I cannot stop watching.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

This woman is so fucking gangster, I don't even have words. Since there are no words, here are some videos making food for the Spring Festival and the Year of the Pig

And here's a non-cooking video where she goes out into a bamboo forests, cuts down some trees, and turns them into furniture.

I cannot stop watching.

Is she related to @dcarch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

This woman is so fucking gangster, I don't even have words. Since there are no words, here are some videos making food for the Spring Festival and the Year of the Pig.

And here's a non-cooking video where she goes out into a bamboo forests, cuts down some trees, and turns them into furniture.

I cannot stop watching.

Cool! cool.gif

And that's some very good filming!

I've added her to my list.

ETA: I have some Chinese one-piece forged cleavers and knives (the handle is rolled from the initial flat piece of steel) similar to what she's using.

Here's one of them...

Very rustic!

cl1.jpg

cl2.jpg

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I cannot stop watching.

You're right, it's addicting! xD

Her persimmon video has 14.6+ million views! shock2.gif

I watch two YouTubers:

Buon-A-Petitti - an Italian grandmother who makes Italian food

and

Souped Up Recipes - a young woman who makes Chinese/Asian food. She makes it look simple and mis en place is everything.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Souped Up Recipes - a young woman who makes Chinese/Asian food. She makes it look simple and mis en place is everything.

Very “watchable”!  Thank you. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 12:19 PM, Toliver said:

I watch two YouTubers:

Buon-A-Petitti - an Italian grandmother who makes Italian food

and

Sorry to quote myself but I have found it interesting that one of Souped Up Recipes videos was recently edited. This is the video in question:

Authentic Szechuan Sauce For Dumplings, Noodles or Eggrolls
https://youtu.be/qozPuF1lU4Q

I had watched it before and was alarmed to see at the end of the video she said the sauce she made in the video could stay in the refrigerator for 2 months or at room temperature for 30 days. Which was insane. 

The recipe was chiles, garlic, salt and sesame oil and a couple of other things. There wasn't any acid to act like a pickling agent, and there wasn't nearly enough salt in the recipe to act like a preservative.

Now when I view that video that "best if used by" info at the end was edited out.**

**However, she may have edited the crazy info out of the video, but she forgot to edit the recipe which is posted in the Info section about the video below her name on the video page. You can see clear as day:

**HOW TO STORE**

* This will stay good for around 30 days at room temperature. It will last 2 months in the fridge.

I think someone sent her a message that her information about how long the sauce would last was on the counter/in the fridge would lead to food poisoning. She edited the video but not the printed recipe. 

It makes me wonder how much other misinformation is out there on YouTube.

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Here's my list (some already mentioned by others).

J. Kenji López-Alt - He mostly does 1st person cooking videos, and usually has quite interesting commentary

Bon Appétit - You know them

De mi Rancho a Tu Cocina - Mexican home cooking by a lovely grandma (in Spanish)

Chinese Cooking Demystified - Very well explained and informative
Bon Appétit - You know them

Serious Eats - You know them, though I think their content is not as good as it used to be

Bruno Albouze - Pastry (mostly, some French cooking), quite professional, but fancier than what I tend to make

Alex "French guy cooking" - Science-oriented cooking (not only french things)

Souped Up Recipes - Chinese, recpies

Pailin's Kitchen - Thai, recpies

Rajshri Food - Indian, vegetarian recipes 

markcsinclair - Professional/commercial baking (bread and pastries), w/o commentary nor recpies.

Delhi Food Walks - Travel vlogs in India (in Hindi)

The Food Ranger - Travel vlogs

Mark Wiens - Travel vlogs

Strictly Dumpling - Travel vlogs, mostly Asian countries 

Way Out West Blow-in - Blog in an Irish farm. Farming, gardening and machine shop work, some basic cooking and there)

You Suck At Cooking - Joke videos, a bit... random

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

~ Shai N.

• 2 months later...

So happy I discovered this topic! I'm adding several of these to my list. Current subscriptions I enjoy: 

Views on the Road: She's Mexican, husband is Korean American, all of her food just looks really delicious.

Matty Matheson: If you know him, you know. It can be a lot to watch, but some of the recipes sound so good I can get into it. 

Rachel Khoo: I love her cookbooks and older videos, but she's also recently started sharing "Vodcast" videos with guest chefs, etc. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I like Outdoor Chef Life.

He catches fish and seafood and serves it up!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNqpN335uVY9Sx_ZK_WuOAA

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm familiar with almost all listed above. Lots of binging during lock-down. Then the 'filming from home' has been interesting. Kenji with the dizzying Gopro on his head.

Eater has some good ones now. Many of theirs visit chefs in their restaurant kitchens. Like Daniel Boulud...what a stove. 

Refika is a good one as well. She is in Istanbul. One of her first Alex French Guy visits...Link, HERE

Edited by Annie_H (log)

I stumbled across food videos by Tasty. They output a no-nonsense video, speed the video up to compress time (and get through the boring parts) and provide the entire recipe with a link in the description below the video.

I usually look at the running time for a video and if it takes 20 minutes, I usually pass it by since I don't have a lot of time for viewing. The Tasty videos are brief in comparison and show the recipe/cooking process in very little time. Works for me.

Here's a link to their YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJFp8uSYCjXOMnkUyb3CQ3Q

Tim Oliver