• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Think you eat only healthy, unprocessed foods? Think again.

liuzhou

Yes, I read the article, thanks, but I call balderdash.  I don't purchase a lot of processed food however I understand the Irish have been making puddings out of carrageenan for centuries.  The heavy cream I buy has carrageenan as an additive.  And gelatin has probably been used as a pudding thickener for at least as long.  Myself, I buy pre-washed lettuce.  Yes I know it is soaked in bleach.  I do not enjoy black, slimy vegetables.

Furthermore my work lunches are almost invariably sandwiches of Hormel Di Lusso salami:

http://www.hormelfoodservice.com/products/di-lussor-genoa-salami-2-pc/

One person's poison is another person's modernist ingredient.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One person's poison is another person's modernist ingredient.

This.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a Modernist recipe for Lemon Curd that doesn't even have lemons in it?

You say potato, I say modified food starch...9_9

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

This.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a Modernist recipe for Lemon Curd that doesn't even have lemons in it?

You say potato, I say modified food starch...9_9

And it is amazingly good. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog