• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello, vintage dining lover here

LivingMCM

Hello folks, I'm one of the newer members of eGullet.

My primary culinary interests are old-school cuisine, such as the continental-inspired fine dining of decades past, and the slowly dying breed of restaurants that still serve such items as Steak Diane, table-side prepared salad, Bananas Foster, and the like. I also like to explore old-school downscale eats such as those diners and burger and milkshake stands that have been around on the side of the highway for sixty years or so.

• Like 3

Welcome, MCM. I like your George Nelson clock!

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Welcome, @LivingMCM! Is your user name a reference to the century you prefer? I had to look up George Nelson clock; I didn't get the reference until I read more. Then it all came clear, and very familiar to me. :)

If you like road trips and finding those old good diners along Route 66 (or elsewhere) I'm sure you'll have a lot of avid followers. If you're looking to recreate some of those experiences and recipes, you'll also get good support. The main thing is to jump in, join the conversations and have fun!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's ours: a reproduction, alas, not an original.

598074b08ee48_Nelsonclock.jpg.d7c2e5be1dbf252645d4164cac46f0c1.jpg

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Welcome, @LivingMCM! Is your user name a reference to the century you prefer? I had to look up George Nelson clock; I didn't get the reference until I read more. Then it all came clear, and very familiar to me. :)

If you like road trips and finding those old good diners along Route 66 (or elsewhere) I'm sure you'll have a lot of avid followers. If you're looking to recreate some of those experiences and recipes, you'll also get good support. The main thing is to jump in, join the conversations and have fun!

Thanks for the welcome @Smithy! Yes, MCM means "mid-century modern," and I try to incorporate the positive aspects of the mid twentieth century into my everyday life. Alas, my clock is actually a knockoff, haha.

4 hours ago, cdh said:

Where do you live that you have places that still do mid-century modern dining?

I'm in the Seattle area. There are a few dining establishments here and there in the northwest that date back to the mid-century years. I find a lot more of them down in California, though.

39 minutes ago, LivingMCM said:

Thanks for the welcome @Smithy! Yes, MCM means "mid-century modern," and I try to incorporate the positive aspects of the mid twentieth century into my everyday life. Alas, my clock is actually a knockoff, haha.

Was wondering whether your MCM was meant as the roman numeral for 1900, or for the abbreviation of Mid-Century Modern...  now I know.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch