• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic wrap

lindag

I bought this Chic Wrap from KAF after reading so many rave reviews about it there.

I was quite disappointed as it is very much like Stretch-Tite but thinner and flimsier, I didn't like it at all and for now am sticking with Costco's Stretch Tite.  So far it's the best of any I've tried but I'm still looking.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:10 PM, Lisa Shock said:

If you learn how to cater-wrap, almost any wrap will work for you.

Yes! That!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yes! That!

Can you give a quick description of how one "cater-wraps"?  I don't have a problem with using plastic wrap but I'm curious. 

Cheers,

Anne

22 minutes ago, barolo said:

Can you give a quick description of how one "cater-wraps"?  I don't have a problem with using plastic wrap but I'm curious. 

HERE's a video. Essentially, you take your roll of plastic wrap, set it on an open counter and pull out, without cutting, a length a bit longer than your container which then lays on the counter with slack near the box. You place your container on top of the wrap that is on the counter. Pull up the end edge, so that it wraps up the side and maybe even a bit onto the top. Then, pull more wrap from the box, enough to cover the top PLUS wrap around the bottom a bit. Tear, and make neat. To do a wide pan, like a full sized sheet pan, place the long side of your pan perpendicular to the wrap and then on the wrap so that there are a couple extra inches on the short side. Wrap one side, you'll be able to cover a little more than half with a roll of commercial wrap, then wrap the other side. The center overlap just gets done on top of the first wrap. Make sure the edges are covered and folded. This is MUCH easier to understand when you see the procedure. 

• Like 1

There used to be a plastic wrap that had a "slider" cutting mechanism that you used to cut the wrap instead of having to tear it off.  It worked really well but whoever it was that used to manufacture it no longer does.  The name escapes me but I was very disappointed when it went off the market.

I use a lot of these for leftovers and various parts of my dogs' food.

Mine are similar to those shown but a bit taller in a couple of sizes that are just perfect; they seal tight and can withstand a drop onto my tile floor.

one size fits a 16-oz. can and the other holds about 24 ozs.

At any given time there are about four in my fridge.  

4 hours ago, barolo said:

Youtube How To Cater Wrap has a strange beginning but communicates the idea. Uses up a lot of wrap. IMHO not practical for a lot of home kitchen situations.

ETA: I learned how to cater wrap a few years ago because of some eGullet posts and comments.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I appreciate the value of cater wrapping for transport purposes and I'm glad to learn that it's a real process.  

As a veteran of more catered workplace meals than I care to admit, we always figured the catering staff either suffered from a special "plastic-film-OCD" or wanted us to WORK for our lunch as those plates and platters were devilish to unwrap without something sharper than the plastic utensils provided. 

Not a method I want to use for anything that's staying in my house!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

I currently use GLAD Cling Wrap and Press'n Seal, both work great for me and a roll lasts a long time here.

I also use the one gallon twist tie bags from both Wegmans and Walmart—again, they last a long time.

'The-better-half' won't touch plastic wrap because it frustrates him too much!!! xD

• Like 3

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

IMHO not practical for a lot of home kitchen situations.

Yes, very true.

But if you really want a good wrapping job—cater wrap is the way to go.

I only use it when absolutely necessary.

Yesterday I baked TBH a batch of brownies—regular GLAD clings just fine to Pyrex without any special tricks.

• Like 2

I agree with the posts recommending Glad Press 'n' Seal.

I also keep Stretch-Tite on hand, as well.

If I am packaging say, steaks, from a purchased "family" pack for the freezer, I won't use Press 'n' Seal. I use the Stretch-Tite and wrap them individually. 

For the refrigerator, instead of finding a container with a matching lid for leftovers, I often just use the Press 'n' Seal over the serving bowl as a makeshift lid.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 7/30/2017 at 5:00 PM, ElsieD said:

There used to be a plastic wrap that had a "slider" cutting mechanism that you used to cut the wrap instead of having to tear it off.  It worked really well but whoever it was that used to manufacture it no longer does.  The name escapes me but I was very disappointed when it went off the market.

@ElsieD - that is the Stretch-Tite brand now.  Available at Costco and on Amazon.  

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@ElsieD - that is the Stretch-Tite brand now.  Available at Costco and on Amazon.  

Thanks.  What are the dimensions of the box?  I'm on it if it fits.  Not so much if it doesn't as I'd have nowhere to put it.

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks.  What are the dimensions of the box?  I'm on it if it fits.  Not so much if it doesn't as I'd have nowhere to put it.

It's 13"x3".

1 hour ago, lindag said:

It's 13"x3".

Thanks again.  I'll check at Costco tomorrow to see off they have it.  The Canadian site, Costco.ca does not but the Costco.com site does.  It doesn't necessarily mean  they don't have it in their store, so we shall see.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I like this combination of wrap and dispenser from Costco. It has a guillotine cutter. In my chocolate room I have this dispenser with a commercial plastic wrap. 

Cook's Illustrated reviewed wrap dispensers in the current issue that I just saw today.  The Stretch-tite Wrap'N Snap Dispenser/Cutter was their favorite.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Costco did not have it in stock at my store.  Yesterday we went to a Costco in Quebec they didn't have it either so unless I order it from Amazon, which looks expensive, I'm out of luck getting my hands on Stretch-tite.

35 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Costco in Canada doesn't call it stretch tite but it's the same stuff. But the dispenser is only available in the American Costco's

Kerry, is that the stuff in the blue box labelled Food Wrap or the stuff in the orange (I think, or maybe yellow) boxes?  I don't know what the stuff in the orange box is labelled as, but if that is the Stretch-tite, I'll get some next time I'm there.  If it's the blue box, that's what I'm already using.  Not bad stuff, but not good as the old Saran Wrap.

42 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Kerry, is that the stuff in the blue box labelled Food Wrap or the stuff in the orange (I think, or maybe yellow) boxes?  I don't know what the stuff in the orange box is labelled as, but if that is the Stretch-tite, I'll get some next time I'm there.  If it's the blue box, that's what I'm already using.  Not bad stuff, but not good as the old Saran Wrap.

Strikes me the box is blue and perhaps yellow 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Strikes me the box is blue and perhaps yellow 

The one I have is blue with a bit of yellow lettering.  It contains 750 sq. Ft.   The box is 2.75" square.  The orange/yellow ones are a lot bigger than that.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, ElsieD said:

Costco did not have it in stock at my store.  Yesterday we went to a Costco in Quebec they didn't have it either so unless I order it from Amazon, which looks expensive, I'm out of luck getting my hands on Stretch-tite.

I just ordered the Stretch-tite dispenser from amazon and noticed they had the wrap for $5.99 so I stocked up.  Then I noticed the wrap @$5.99 was only 250 square feet.  I canceled the wrap, but I wonder if that is a good price or a bad price compared to what you are seeing?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou