• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic wrap

lindag

AnnaNs comments in another thread prompted me to want to talk about plastic wraps.

I can't seem to find one that doesn't frustrate me.  Currently I'm using the Costco brand which clings to everything. 

I think I've tried all the different kinds, if they cling to the bowl or food, then they don't cling to plastic containers.

Most want to cling to itself better than anything else.

Is there a brand that really works for you?

• Like 1

I used to like saran wrap but at some point I believe they changed the formula (maybe it had been toxic) and after that it didn't stick to anything much besides itself.

For the last several years I have been using Stretch-tite.  It is the best wrap I have found.  Stretch-tite is available from amazon and Costco, though I have never seen it in a grocery store.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, KitchenQueen said:

Reynolds Foodservice wrap-  914C. I   couldn't live without it.    Now available on Amazon too.  18 inches wide, 2000 ft., with built in sliding cutter that works.

Next time I need some wrap I will try to remember this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I used to like saran wrap but at some point I believe they changed the formula (maybe it had been toxic) and after that it didn't stick to anything much besides itself.

For the last several years I have been using Stretch-tite.  It is the best wrap I have found.  Stretch-tite is available from amazon and Costco, though I have never seen it in a grocery store.

I, too, like Stretch-Tite. I can find it in all of my local supermarkets, and it was also available at a BJ's near me (last time I was in one, anyway; my membership expired in January and I didn't renew).

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've been usin Food Wrap from Costco.  I was a devotee of Saran Wrap until they changed the formula and haven't bought it since.  At the time they changed it, I was in a grocery store and someone was getting a refund on his roll because "It doesn't stick any more".  For stuff I want wrapped better, I use Press and Seal.  

• Like 3

I use plastic wrap about once every 3 months.  When I make pudding (sorry George Costanza, no skin for me), and when I make enchiladas and I don't want them to dry out in the fridge.  I use gallon twist tie bags for just about everything.  If it's something like chili that I want to dry out a bit, I'll just put in the fridge uncovered. I also have a huge collection of bag clips, probably around 25, so, if it comes in a bag and I don't finish it (like bagged salad), it gets clipped and goes back in the fridge.

58 minutes ago, scott123 said:

I use plastic wrap about once every 3 months.  When I make pudding (sorry George Costanza, no skin for me), and when I make enchiladas and I don't want them to dry out in the fridge.  I use gallon twist tie bags for just about everything.  If it's something like chili that I want to dry out a bit, I'll just put in the fridge uncovered. I also have a huge collection of bag clips, probably around 25, so, if it comes in a bag and I don't finish it (like bagged salad), it gets clipped and goes back in the fridge.

I used to use gallon twist tie bags a lot.  Then the local grocery store stopped selling them in favor of much more expensive plastic bags.  Haven't yet checked with amazon.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

AnnaNs comments in another thread prompted me to want to talk about plastic wraps.

I can't seem to find one that doesn't frustrate me.  Currently I'm using the Costco brand which clings to everything. 

I think I've tried all the different kinds, if they cling to the bowl or food, then they don't cling to plastic containers.

Most want to cling to itself better than anything else.

Is there a brand that really works for you?

I thought all plastic wrap/clingform clung, no?  I think until someone makes a static-dissipating box, we're all in the same boat.

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I used to use gallon twist tie bags a lot.  Then the local grocery store stopped selling them in favor of much more expensive plastic bags.  Haven't yet checked with amazon.

Were they baggies? My shoprite used to have sales on those about 3 times a year where they'd be 99 cents a box.  At one point, I had about 25 boxes.  But then they discontinued them and only offer the private label for 1.99 for 75- and these NEVER go on sale.  If doubling the price was bad enough, the new bags are narrower/taller (10" wide rather than the 11.5" they used to be), so they're exponentially harder to get food into. A new Wegmans opened near me so I checked their offerings. Identical bag, identical price :( 

I haven't gone this route yet, because you have to commit to a large amount, and I'm not sure that thinner bags work for my needs (or the material), but the Webstaurant store offers large rolls of produce bags.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/inteplast-group-phnonp20ns-12-x-20-plastic-side-print-produce-bag-on-a-roll-4-case/130PB1220.html

With shipping, these are a penny a bag, and they're 12" wide.  But you have to buy a huge amount (3500 bags) and you have to store them.  Each roll is going to be pretty large as well, so it won't fit in a drawer.

Edited by scott123 (log)

1 hour ago, scott123 said:

Were they baggies? My shoprite used to have sales on those about 3 times a year where they'd be 99 cents a box.  At one point, I had about 25 boxes.  But then they discontinued them and only offer the private label for 1.99 for 75- and these NEVER go on sale.  If doubling the price was bad enough, the new bags are narrower/taller (10" wide rather than the 11.5" they used to be), so they're exponentially harder to get food into. A new Wegmans opened near me so I checked their offerings. Identical bag, identical price :( 

I haven't gone this route yet, because you have to commit to a large amount, and I'm not sure that thinner bags work for my needs (or the material), but the Webstaurant store offers large rolls of produce bags.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/inteplast-group-phnonp20ns-12-x-20-plastic-side-print-produce-bag-on-a-roll-4-case/130PB1220.html

With shipping, these are a penny a bag, and they're 12" wide.  But you have to buy a huge amount (3500 bags) and you have to store them.  Each roll is going to be pretty large as well, so it won't fit in a drawer.

These were Shoprite labeled.  The local Shoprite no longer carries gallon twist tie bags in any brand.

I order the big rolls of extra-wide heavy duty commercial plastic wrap through work. The same stuff we use in the restaurant. Sticks to anything and doesn't tear easily. Same with the aluminum foil. Giant, extra-wide roll and you have to really try to get the stuff to tear. I got tired of store plastic wrap that wouldn't stick to anything or wasn't wide enough to cover what I wanted to cover in one shot and foil that would tear so easily it might as well have been paper. Pretty sure it actually ends up being cheaper too, those rolls last a really long time in the home kitchen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

11 hours ago, KitchenQueen said:

Reynolds Foodservice wrap-  914C. I   couldn't live without it.    Now available on Amazon too.  18 inches wide, 2000 ft., with built in sliding cutter that works.

Ditto x 1000.

Love this stuff.

Strangely plastic wrap is only an issue for me up here on Manitoulin.  We buy the supermarket stuff here but at home I have a massive box of something or other that seems reasonable. But I also find I use it rarely. I have an adequate supply of fridge containers at home. Here, if we buy them, they quickly disappear as others use the townhouse. Hence things get stored in bowls and I reach for the (lousy) plastic wrap. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, KitchenQueen said:

How big is the box?  I mean, is it bigger than the Costco/Stretch-tite Box?  Will it fit in a drawer?

Having to store it in a cabinet is gonna be a deal breaker for my kitchen.

Edited by lindag
clairty (log)

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

These were Shoprite labeled.  The local Shoprite no longer carries gallon twist tie bags in any brand.

OUCH!!  They stopped carrying gallon twist ties?  That's horrible.

I just did a quick search and Walmart carries them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Twist-Tie-Storage-Bags-Gallon-100-Ct/11303925

Shoprite (when they carry them) and Wegmans have them at 2.66 cents a bag, while Walmart's are 2.88 cents a bag- a little bit more, but not horribly so.  If your local Walmart doesn't stock them, you can either buy enough to qualify for shipping or have them shipped to the store.

I admit to living a very sheltered life and I certainly have never heard of twist tie bags.  I remember Fat Guy (RIP)  giving his review of various supermarkets and their produce bags and his filching thereof. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I like this combination of wrap and dispenser from Costco. It has a guillotine cutter. In my chocolate room I have this dispenser with a commercial plastic wrap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I like this combination of wrap and dispenser from Costco. It has a guillotine cutter. In my chocolate room I have this dispenser with a commercial plastic wrap. 

I love eGullet and eG people!  Come next payday I hope to make that Stretch-tite cutter mine.  Either from Amazon Fresh or from Amazon Prime.  So hard to decide.

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I love eGullet and eG people!  Come next payday I hope to make that Stretch-tite cutter mine.  Either from Amazon Fresh or from Amazon Prime.  So hard to decide.

I bought a Snap-wrap 7500 (or whatever it's actually called) a few years ago.  When i brought it home, my wife yelled at me for buying something so stupid.  Since then, we have given at least six as wedding presents, plus a few others to people who clearly needed one.  

• Like 2