• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

cdh

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nope - it's a Patty pan. I didn't get pans with mine.

Oh.  Somehow I had it in my mind that it came with at least one pot. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, rotuts said:

what is a patty pan ?

all I got from goog is a flat squash

o.O

like the handle !

It's a pan that Patty has at her house.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I am very familiar with induction hobs, sous vide and my range is induction so none of the technology is new to me.  And yet I found when I attempted to use it just as an induction hob to cook a simple omelet that my frustration level became elevated very quickly. 

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.    Perhaps  I am just psychologically dependent on some indication of a range of power. (But I am in love with my Joule so that argument doesn’t hold much water!)

Connected to the app you can learn the surface temperature of the unit. Whether or not this translates to the surface temperature of the pan remains quite a mystery to me. But once connected to the app it seems you must constantly press the power button on the unit in order for it to respond to whatever temperature you input into the app.

Perhaps I have missed a step here that would get me over this. But the app seems reluctant to communicate with me in anyway unless it’s connected to the unit!  I want to be able to sit down with a scotch on one side of me and instructions on the other side and walk through them without anything being connected to anything!  

This is a very preliminary report on my response to my very first attempt to use the unit and should be taken as meaning very little at the moment.

Still I would love to hear from other people how they are making out with it. Obviously the enthusiasm we find here for the iInstant Pot is lacking for the Onetop. xD

OK so I poured my scotch after I found this. Now at least I can read and try to absorb instead of trying to operate two separate devices —my iPhone and the induction hob. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had mine for several months and Haven't really found it to be very useful.

I thought I'd use it outside on my deck for deep frying but I find electrical appliances to be more effective.

Now it's in storage in the garage.

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Here is what I think of it:

I am in the process of returning it for a refund.  The return and the refund have been authorized by TastyTop.

Can we ask why? Are you simply not impressed by it or is there something else?

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I think you've summed up my reaction pretty well. It's not useless,  but I don't have much love for the device, and I have had enough frustrating experiences with it that I haven't been motivated to play with it much. I was aware of its design limitations when I got it, and was perfectly happy to live with a device with a limited feature set, but I haven't found the implementation to be particularly reliable.

My completely unsupported theory is that it has inadequate cooling, and ends up running into thermal protection limits when trying to sustain temperatures above boiling. I've had no major issues with it when cooking with water (or for low temperature tasks), but things like frying and candy making have not turned out particularly well for me, nor has cooking with cast iron.

The clip for the temperature probe also fits on absolutely nothing.

It is an unusually attractive burner for tabletop cooking, though...

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.

The lights in manual mode correlate to wattages:

Cooking power levels: 1- 100 Watt 2- 200 Watt 3- 300 Watt 4- 400 Watt 5- 600 Watt 6- 800 Watt 7- 1000 Watt 15 8- 1200 Watt 9- 1400 Watt 10- 1500 Watt

So not quite linear, but you can roughly think of it as 10% - 100% of potential output.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

If all I ever wanted to do with this device was to poach eggs then it passes. 

BAAF7B0B-7A3D-42B8-A9DF-B1599DB786D4.thumb.jpeg.279707d69368c511a2c48dafb3540456.jpeg

Probe temperature set to 185°F. Timer set on my range for 3 minutes. Egg was large and was cold from the refrigerator. 

CF32E994-F9E9-4D9E-B6F4-4499D1E3E31A.thumb.jpeg.2d41554ace87a05f4217bdc9d4bac8d0.jpeg

I checked the water temperature with my trusty Thermopen and it was accurate to within a decimal place or so (the device uses °F  and my Thermo pen happens to be in °C).

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can we ask why? Are you simply not impressed by it or is there something else?

I found the temperatures to be erratic.  The first time I was trying to deep fry using my cast iron Dutch oven.  Temps were off over 50+ degrees.  Tried the test using water in stainless steel it was pretty good.  Oil in stainless steel not good.  Tried cooking something sous vide, I believe it was a piece of fish.  The temperatures varied plus 5 degrees swinging to minus 5 degrees throughout the cooking process.  Not good for sous vide.  The probe sucks.  When I was deep frying, it fell off three times, twice into the hot oil.  Fortunately, i was standing right there so I could fish it out.  Also, it is not long enough.  If you want to deep fry something for more than one person, you need a LOT of oil, or the probe won't reach far enough into the oil.  Finally, I have never seen a more useless manual in my life.

My two reasons for wanting it were to be able to deep fry outside on my balcony and to sous vide some small pieces of food that didn't require a long cooking time.  It failed at both.  Just thinking about it makes me cranky.

• Sad 2

Ok then @ElsieD.   When you have time tell us how you really feel. xD

I am going to try sous-viding a small ribeye that was on sale.  I will dig out my probe thermometer and see if I can track how it maintains temperature.  I don’t want to start it until later today because there are other things happening around me and I would like to be paying attention.  I am more than 100% certain that nothing will persuade me to swap my Joule for anything else.  But I will have some fun playing. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So I thought I would cook my lunch on the  Onetop. 9AB854DD-302D-479C-9C4D-3BEB1F90B8AE.thumb.jpeg.0cf6161f119867986771c05e1eb5a2aa.jpeg

This is one of my steel Darto pans.  I was attempting to use the hub in the direct mode meaning no interface to my iPhone. It failed to recognize that there was a pan on the hob!   I tried to or three times and then abandoned it. I took the same pan over to my induction range and I was cooking in no time. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

i have not yet begun to look into my pan.

i have to take my iPod over to the APPL store to download the app

Im in no hurry.

if anyone knows how i can download directly to my iMac w/o going though iTunes

Id like to hear how.

again Im in no rush.

P.S.:  @Anna N

does it recognize any of your induction ready pans in  manual mode ?

has anyone else tried manual mode ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

i have not yet begun to look into my pan.

i have to take my iPod over to the APPL store to download the app

Im in no hurry.

if anyone knows how i can download directly to my iMac w/o going though iTunes

Id like to hear how.

again Im in no rush.

P.S.:  @Anna N

does it recognize any of your induction ready pans in  manual mode ?

has anyone else tried manual mode ?

I will do some more testing with other pans. All my pans are induction compatible.  

Edited to add I do not believe that it will work with an iPad!  You might want to read back in the thread where other people addressed this question. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't stand it any more !

Id rather Advance Science , then shovel out my wood pile

I tested the TI with

T-fal 8" Professional Non-Stick pan with Thermo-Spot indicator

[  I highly recommend this series for a good qually not so expensive non-sticl pan BTW.   make surge its the professional series that goes into the oven ]

works ine

pulled down a DARTO  and for me , worked fine.

Ill have to investigate if a set of blue dots ( your temp control ) would give me hot H2O   for a perfect poached egg !

Im wonder ing how large is the App ?   

I may go down to the APPL store how that Science has Advanced.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

odd

pod.jpg.e1e961b31a81e37e323f1ae5cea6192b.jpg

I have a suitable iPad, but Im not sure what gen.   my iPod is.

Where is this from?

My 2004 eG Blog

I can confirm it works on ipad now. I have an ipad mini 2nd gen. There's been a few updates to the app since I first posted about it not working.

I haven't actually cooked with it yet other than boiling water for pasta once to see how fast it would heat (it was slow).

I tested out some temps w just the blue-dots on maul :

2 dots :   151 F

3 dots  164

4 dots  185

5 dots  198.5

that +/-

Im sure with some Analysis  you can get a perfect poached egg at one of these settings 

from a cold egg , noting the time( after the water heats up , and the egg is added )

to get your desired result.