• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

cdh

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package; the fit and finish is better than other cheap induction burners I've used. And you can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath (and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville)

I am hopeful that someone will reverse engineer the Bluetooth protocol so that third-party apps and devices can control the unit -- for future proofing if nothing else.

Edited by dtremit
clarification (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package

The 10-speed, 1500W hotplates are now $50-$80 with comparable fit and finish, IMO.  The only things justifying paying more are the ability to monitor pan temperature and more finely control the food temperature, but you apparently can't do either without involving a smart phone.  Tasty chose to follow the model of the Joule SV circulator rather than that of the Anova.   I chose the Anova (arguably a lesser circulator) precisely because I hate being dependent on diddling a phone in the kitchen.

Time will tell how robust the Tasty is, in terms of structure, electronics and longevity. 

It is priced to be quasi-disposible, and puts buyers at the front of the tech curve.  These alone will sell a bunch of these, much like the Breville "Smart" Oven and Instapot.

• Like 1

You need at a minimum version 10 of the Apple operating system to use the Bluetooth function.  Note too that this is for the iPhone.  They say they are working on a version for the iPad which will also require at minimum version 10 and also working on an Android App.  They would not tell me when they expect to have them completed.

My broken unit was replaced in a very timely manner and I spent yesterday figuring out just how many of my pans won’t work with it  O.o    I now have a pot tester magnet hanging on the fridge.  So far, have boiled water.

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

I am getting an iPhone from my SIL which will work with the TT.   It is coming from Calgary and is due to arrive today, assuming Canada Post is on the job.  I'll probably try to sous vide something as my first use of the thing.

On 12/27/2017 at 9:51 AM, boilsover said:

The 10-speed, 1500W hotplates are now $50-$80 with comparable fit and finish, IMO. 

And now Prime members can get an 1800W/15-setting PIC for $36 .  

Amazon Lightning Deal:  1800W/15 setting induction hotplate for $36:

https://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Star-Portable-Induction-Countertop/dp/B01L2OH52S/ref=gbps_img_s-3_f195_cff7f735?smid=A3ACUPJ4C2HX16&pf_rd_p=6c198e11-b315-4fa9-b903-aba4590cf195&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=ZYJ6X4PHRZNQKS3RMC0F

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I am getting an iPhone from my SIL which will work with the TT.   It is coming from Calgary and is due to arrive today, assuming Canada Post is on the job.  I'll probably try to sous vide something as my first use of the thing.

Awesome I look forward to your review. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

11 minutes ago, rob1234 said:

Does anyone know the country of origin for the onetop or roughly what the shipping weight and dimensions were?

Mine shipped directly from Shenzhen, China. 9.9 lbs / 4.49 kgs and 19x18x6 in, if FedEx is to be believed.

The thought just occurred to me that if I knew the perfect temperature of a poached egg I could set the water temperature to that and in theory, anyway, put the egg in there when the water gets to that temperature and it could stay in there for an hour, not overcook and stay warm.  There must be a reason why that won't work.

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The thought just occurred to me that if I knew the perfect temperature of a poached egg I could set the water temperature to that and in theory, anyway, put the egg in there when the water gets to that temperature and it could stay in there for an hour, not overcook and stay warm.  There must be a reason why that won't work.

There is.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

The poached egg might work for some time... but I think eventually the amount of time would change the texture... an hour I'd assume is fine (I do that sous vide inside the shell). 

How long and at what temperature?

24 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

The poached egg might work for some time... but I think eventually the amount of time would change the texture... an hour I'd assume is fine (I do that sous vide inside the shell). 

I don’t think you can easily extrapolate from an egg inside the shell to an egg outside the shell. Even if you employ the technique of putting the egg in simmering water, removing it from the heat source and adding a lid, it will still take only 4 minutes.  I’ll be happy to be shown otherwise. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh it would for sure be a different temperature. But I'm saying that if you figure out the target temperature of a poached egg, you should be able to just leave it at that if you want to hold it for a while before using. I might be wrong?

I'm not sure what target temperature you'd do a poached egg at. It has much more surface area than one inside an egg, so timining shouldnt' be too long, but since you aren't going above the target temperature, it would take longer than a traditional poached one that you just turn off the heat for. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

I’m prepared to change my mind if somebody can show me that it works. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I need to try this.  I bought some eggs last Monday at the farm gate and the eggs are really fresh which should help with this little experiment.  I could try this tomorrow but I have no idea what temperature to set the water.  @JoNorvelleWalker indicated that there is a reason why it won't work but neglected to say what that reason is.  Maybe she will chime in again?:)

There is no single magic temperature for egg poaching.

At the risk of oversimplification: it won't work because the proteins in egg whites coagulate at a higher temperature than those in the yolks. A poached egg works because the white temporarily protects the yolk. It coagulates first, and once it's firmed up, the task is done. If you leave the egg in the water, the yolk will coagulate, and you're well on your way to a hard-cooked egg. 

Now, if you could control the temperature instantaneously, bringing the water temp down from about 80°C (white coagulation temperature, more or less) to 60°C (five degrees less than yolk coagulation temperature, more or less) the second the whites have set, you might have a workable system.

ETA: as has been pointed out elsewhere, a poached egg is not a sous-vide egg.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)
  • Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ah, it makes sense. You have to stop the white from cooking prior to the heat reaching the yolk. 

Sous vide you can get a similar to texture to poached eggs, but there's a layer of white that doesn't cook (I recall reading somewhere that the two layers of whites cook at different temperature.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor