• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

cdh

Oh no, that's terrible! They've been pretty good at responding to my questions (within 30 minutes sometimes), so hopefully they will be pretty responsive to your issue! 

I wonder if I should have my friend check the condition of the item before shipping it off to Calgary.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

3 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Oh no, that's terrible! They've been pretty good at responding to my questions (within 30 minutes sometimes), so hopefully they will be pretty responsive to your issue! 

I wonder if I should have my friend check the condition of the item before shipping it off to Calgary.

That might not be a bad idea. The packaging on mine all looked to be in perfect shape, so whatever blow did it in was not obvious in any way.  They did respond promptly in a non specific way, asking for patience in resolving, so I am being patiently hopeful that I get a timely, unbroken replacement.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Ive unpacked mine.

no cracks

the packing is very tight and heavy.

It will be a while before I get to mine as I have a new espresso set up that i hope to get going

soon.

TT.thumb.jpg.d9ab642287ca7a069a840a9de1c1bc9f.jpg

the top is intact thats just a bit of a reflection on the r

does anyone know how to DL the app ?

Im on a Mac and have an ancient iPod.

thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BetD said:

That might not be a bad idea. The packaging on mine all looked to be in perfect shape, so whatever blow did it in was not obvious in any way.  They did respond promptly in a non specific way, asking for patience in resolving, so I am being patiently hopeful that I get a timely, unbroken replacement.

I sent my niece an e-mail after I read your post to ask her to please unwrap it and plug it in to make sure it works.  This was later last night and I haven't heard back from her yet but when I do, I'll post.  Thanks for tghe heads up, but I am sorry yours was damaged.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive unpacked mine.

no cracks

It will be a while before I get to mine as I have a new espresso set up that i hope to get going

soon.

thanks

Try following the link on their web page..... https://tastyshop.com/collections/tasty-one-top  ?

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

If you get a chance, could you measure the diameter of the actual cooking surface (the black part)? I'm just curious if it will accommodate some of my larger pans, and the website only lists the measurements of the entire unit (and I'm a bit skeptical of the measurements customer service gave me, as they are quite a bit larger than any other portable induction I've seen on the market). 

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive unpacked mine.

no cracks

soon.

thanks

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

@CanadianHomeChef 

the black surface is 10 3/4 "

there is then a lip of about 1/4 " down to the blue surface.

what I don't know is the size of the induction coil under the black glass.

that may or may not be important for larger pans.

the stripes on the black surface are probably just cosmetic.

I doubt they have anything to do w the coil under the glass , which has to be circular I think.

• Like 1

Thanks for doing the measurements, I appreciate it!

Yeah, that's huge for a portable. I'm also a bit skeptical that the coil spans the entire black area. But maybe they did invest in it.

I've been disappointed with other portables because they don't work great with my 12 inch frying pans. All I need is 10 inches, as the other two inches are not at the base of the pan.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

30 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

I justot mine. Downloaded the app, but all I see are recipes. The “one top” button supposedly at the bottom is not there. Help!

Do not have the appliance but I did download the app. Initially yes you see only recipes. Select either meat or vegetarian And it should take you to a screen where you will see the blue button at the bottom in the middle. At least that’s what happened for me 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just got mine today! Super excited about it, though I'm not entirely sure what chance I will have to use it with holiday craziness. Nevertheless got it set up and tested it with the probe and some water in a saucepan. Pairing to the app was easy and quick. 

There is a spring-loaded temperature sensor in the center of the cooktop, which measures the temperature of the pan. The probe attaches near the power cord with a headphone-style plug and there's a silicone "clip" that holds it on the edge of a pan. If you put the handle of the probe in the clip, it's a little too tall for a saucepan, but it still works decently well with the probe handle sitting on top of the "clip." Anything shorter than a saucepan might be challenging.

There is a little bit of a discrepancy between the manual and the app regarding operation modes, but the manual clearly outlines how it works without any app connection. The + and - buttons set it to 10 preset wattages as displayed by the 10 LEDs, from 1 @ 100W to 10 @ 1500W. 

At least at the moment, the app can only connect to one One Top at a time.

The app-based mode lets you set the target temperature. It seems that if you plug in the probe, the temperature setting is controlled by the probe temperature; if the probe is not plugged in, the pan temperature is used. It still reports the pan temperature if the probe is used; when I tested with a probe at 175F, the pan temperature was 204F.

NB that there are a couple of safety modes -- using it in standalone mode on high power it will make you press the + button after 30 minutes to continue at full heat; otherwise, it will drop to power level 6 (800W). Likewise, if you cook at a temperature above 214F using the app, you have to confirm operation every 45 minutes. Generally speaking, you have to press a button on the device to confirm any settings made in the app.

There is also a "recipe mode" in the app that interests me very little. There's also some mismatch between the manual and the app (the app has "basic" mode and "sous vide" mode, but you can set the temp in "basic"); I'll need to experiment a bit to figure out how it works.

Hopefully that info will be helpful for someone!

• Like 4

I don't think you can add recipes yourself -- but the manual modes do include some limited timer functionality. I took a couple of screenshots this morning to illustrate that. The "basic" mode timer is just a standard timer; it starts when you tell it to and dings when it's done. In "Sous vide" mode, the timer starts when the target temperature is reached, and notifies you at the end; it also appears to switch the burner off 30 minutes later.

Also including the summary information it shows when you minimize the controls; that's the only place I can find both the probe and surface temperature (though I swear I saw it in the main interface once yesterday).

Hopefully they will add the ability to create recipes later -- while there aren't a *huge* number of use cases for that, I would love the ability to, say, create a profile to temper chocolate.

IMG_7710.PNGIMG_7706.thumb.PNG.5c45fb9cd123cc97f859a3420d317b04.PNG

IMG_7707.PNGIMG_7708.PNGIMG_7709.PNGIMG_7711.PNG

Edited by dtremit
fix images (log)
  • Like 2

is there any other way to get the app for a Mac ?

i have chronic problems w the app store on my iMac.

after Christmas i might go to the apple store , a few days after the seasonal Commotion and DL it there

@rotuts as far as I know, it's not available as a Mac app -- only an iPhone/iPad one. The listing on that app store says it supports the iPod Touch as well.

@ElsieD I am embarrassed to say I didn't actually check -- I was really just playing around -- but I'll do it next time and report back.

I did notice that the target temperature drifted a bit more than I'm used to with my Anova; it went over by 4 degrees at one point. I used a fully clad pan; I suspect using a lighter pan might actually be preferable with this if really precise control is needed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dtremit said:

@rob1234 The fried tofu recipe instructs you to use the probe. Maximum set point is listed as 410F; I think the 450F might be the maximum operating temperature of the unit in manual mode.

Thanks. That's good. 410 is still better than any home counter top fryer that tops out at 375, if that.

• Like 2