• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

cdh

this came from BuzzFeed ;

Edward (Tasty Shop)

Jul 29, 14:40 EDT 

Hey Tasty Fan!

Thanks for reaching out.

The connectivity from App to our Tasty One Top is Bluetooth LE 4.0. More importantly, in order to use the App the Facebook account is not required; only if you want to save recipes.

More information here on the Tasty One Top:

https://tastyonetop.com/

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Edward
The Tasty Team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Can one use an Android device?

They say that app is coming, but it isn't developed yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

See ?

Harrumph.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I heard back from them and this is their response:

"Thanks for reaching out! I'd be happy to address your questions about the One Top.

First, we do not have an estimated launch date for the Android app, but it's coming soon! Be sure to check back on our website for updates.

Without the app, you can manually adjust the temperature with the presets provided on the One Top. We are currently working on defining the exact temperature assigned to each increment for the presets.

Lastly, the temperature settings can be manually adjusted via the app! This gives you the freedom to manually set time and temperature to cook your own recipes.

I hope that helps answer your questions. Please let me know if I can be of any further help!"

I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly they got back to me.

More info from the Tsst Team:

The temperature range is from 80F to 400F.  Using the App, you can set it to whatever  you like within that range.  At this time, you cannot add your own recipes to the App.

I'm with @rotuts.  I would love an induction burner that I can set to whatever temperature I want with a reasonable degree of accuracy.  I don't care about cooking from the App.  Please, just let me be able to deep fry potatoes outside, and maybe a few other things.  

• Like 4

@ElsieD   

I think you've got it right,

if they didn't charge my CC until shipping Id be more included to jump right in.

would I hear differently re the CC Ill post.

Update :

Hey Tasty Fan!

Thanks for following up.

All orders are expected to be delivered in November of 2017. Your credit card will be charged when you order, but your reservation can be cancelled at any time at the click of a button in your confirmation email.

Let us know if you have any other question or concern.

seems a bit gauche to charge me now , for shipping later

Of course if I cancel Id assume they credit the CC back ............

I've had a couple of email exchanges with Mary from the Tasty folks so far.  Here's what she wrote about setting the temperature manually if you don't have the app:

Without the app, you can manually adjust the temperature with the presets provided on the One Top, however, without the App, the manual controls might be a bit more limited in the amount of temperature customization you can adjust. We are currently working on defining the exact temperature assigned to each increment for the manual presets.

In a later exchange, she clarified that she's talking about the temperature at the base of the pot.  There's no way to monitor and control to the temperature of the contents, as measured by the included thermometer, without the app.

Incidentally, she said that another good email address for contacting them is pr@tastyshop.com.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In a later exchange, she clarified that she's talking about the temperature at the base of the pot.  There's no way to monitor and control to the temperature of the contents, as measured by the included thermometer, without the app.

Mary is the person I have been emailing as well.  Is she saying then that with the App you can control the temperature of the contents?

On 7/28/2017 at 4:11 PM, cdh said:

I recall reading on here years ago that GE had some sort of precision controlled induction burner in development.  Not entirely sure what happened to that... but this device could be the offspring of that research project.  The price is nice... hope the quality is up to snuff.  I do wonder why nobody had done a precision induction burner before now...  are there hard EE problems to be solved in modulating the RF field that makes the pan heat up?  Even the "pro" flavored induction plates only had 20 stops on their control dials.  I am not sold on the whole everything needs to be controlled over wifi with an app design philosophy... but this application of it is super cool sounding.

Anyway here's the link: Tasty Onetop

The previous one is called the Paragon Induction Cooktop and is still available, but at double the price.  They recently made a temperature mat that goes under the pan available for pre-order that's supposed to let you precisely control the surface temperature of the pan, that appears to be built in to this new unit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone bought this thing?

It's currently $149.00 $175.00 15% OFF + FREE SHIPPING.

https://tastyonetop.com/

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

any idea when Id get mine ?

No!  :(

ETA: "The Tasty One Top is shipping November 2017 and will be delivered on a first come, first serve basis."

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 weeks later...

their response ,  very prompt :

""  

I apologize for not having an exact shipping date at this moment, but know that orders will begin shipping before the end of the month. You will receive an email with the tracking details once your order ships.

Please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any additional questions or concerns. We're always happy to help!

Regards,
Adam
The Tasty Team  ""

Thanks, @rotuts  mine will get shipped to my niece's house in Syracuse but I should have it by Christmas.  You will likely get yours before me so I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear what you have to say about it.  Hope it's good.  I just thought of something.  Depending on when she gets it, and the weather, a trip to Syracuse may be in order.  I could likely squeeze in a trip to Trader Joe's!xD

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks, @rotuts  mine will get shipped to my niece's house in Syracuse but I should have it by Christmas.  You will likely get yours before me so I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear what you have to say about it.  Hope it's good.  I just thought of something.  Depending on when she gets it, and the weather, a trip to Syracuse may be in order.  I could likely squeeze in a trip to Trader Joe's!xD

And if you do make it before the lake effect picks up, please yell!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2