• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision induction: Tasty Onetop

cdh

I recall reading on here years ago that GE had some sort of precision controlled induction burner in development.  Not entirely sure what happened to that... but this device could be the offspring of that research project.  The price is nice... hope the quality is up to snuff.  I do wonder why nobody had done a precision induction burner before now...  are there hard EE problems to be solved in modulating the RF field that makes the pan heat up?  Even the "pro" flavored induction plates only had 20 stops on their control dials.  I am not sold on the whole everything needs to be controlled over wifi with an app design philosophy... but this application of it is super cool sounding.

Anyway here's the link: Tasty Onetop

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

29 minutes ago, cdh said:

I recall reading on here years ago that GE had some sort of precision controlled induction burner in development.  Not entirely sure what happened to that... but this device could be the offspring of that research project.  The price is nice... hope the quality is up to snuff.  I do wonder why nobody had done a precision induction burner before now...  are there hard EE problems to be solved in modulating the RF field that makes the pan heat up?  Even the "pro" flavored induction plates only had 20 stops on their control dials.  I am not sold on the whole everything needs to be controlled over wifi with an app design philosophy... but this application of it is super cool sounding.

Anyway here's the link: Tasty Onetop

So how many settings does it have?

This is a poor man's "Control Freak" or Hestan Cue at <1/10 the price. 

14 hours ago, cdh said:

I am not sold on the whole everything needs to be controlled over wifi with an app design philosophy... but this application of it is super cool sounding.

The FAQ says you can use it manually. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Looks like a winner. Great for a buffet if it can stay at a programmed temp.

Sous vide use won't offer much advantage since it will only heat the bottom of a piece of meat ...unless the meat is bathed in liquid...but then its just a low temp stew.

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Just put a hold on one.

I knew somebody would step up and take one for the team. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

there seem to be 10 manual temp settings.  see the lower part of the device 

you might need an app to adjust between these setting , if you can at all.

Id like to find out.

for no reason I can figure out I can't view youtube vids on my browser which is new in the last few days.

I can view youtube vids if referenced in an eG thread 

if you can , would you reference the youtube video in a post her so I can view it ?

many thanks

Here you go. 

Click

At 1:40, the speaker says that without the app one uses the buttons and their 10 settings "for the simple stuff." That would seem to imply that manual control is limited to presets. 

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

anyone have an idea what the app is called ?   i could not find it on   the app store

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if you click on the "App Store "  icon on the web page , they send you a one time SMS to Dl the app

I of course only have a DumbPhone

O.o

It seems simply to be called "Tasty". Here's a link to a page with a link:

https://m.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/ 

and here's a screen shot of the page in that link:

Screenshot_20170729-105034.jpg

I'm really rather sorry I watched that video.  Darn, that looks like a neat gizmo.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just sent them an email asking:

Without the App, am I limited to using the presets?  If yes, what temperatures are each of the presets set to?

Will the Android app be ready by the time the units start shipping?

I'll post whatever they say.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

what is their email address

I sent one to

support@buzzfeed.com

Id like a way to D/L the app w/o a text sent to a smartphone I don't have.

I do have a flip phone .....

It would also be key to see if the app works via bluetooth an no WiFi via a router.

1 ( one ) Kudos to anyone that can figure that out.

@rotuts, their email address is help@tastyshop.com.  I just asked them another technical question (basically, whether the power can be controlled to maintain a certain internal temperature without that app) and they acknowledged my question within a minute.  The (auto)response says they typically respond within 24 hours..

Edited by Smithy
Corrected time frame for response (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what is their email address

I sent one to

support@buzzfeed.com

Id like a way to D/L the app w/o a text sent to a smartphone I don't have.

I do have a flip phone .....

It would also be key to see if the app works via bluetooth an no WiFi via a router.

1 ( one ) Kudos to anyone that can figure that out.

Help@tastyshop.com

if anyone has the time and is able to DL the app

Id appreciate it if you can tell if it works w bluetooth and not just you FancyPantsSmart phone

( lange dans joue )

I do have an iPod and iPad  

if clunk down the $ 149   now  ( they seem to charge your CC now )  if I knew that

P.S:  thanks for the email address  

ive em'd them re bluyetooth

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

if anyone has the time and is able to DL the app

Id appreciate it if you can tell if it works w bluetooth and not just you FancyPantsSmart phone

( lange dans joue )

I do have an iPod and iPad  

if clunk down the $ 149   now  ( they seem to charge your CC now )  if I knew that

P.S:  thanks for the email address  

ive em'd them re bluyetooth

The issue I have with downloading the app is that some of its features are only available if you are willing to become a Facebook member. I am not.   That is my understanding from some of the reviews of the application. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

interesting point

Im a FB member  but I never ever ever go there 

it looking like the device  is very very connected

in not necessarily an optional way

just my guess and Ive been wrong    

may I ask where you say those reviews ?

Ive asked them about FB and their app.

Id only want the app for fine adjustments

not for Rx beeps and " turn your Steak now " messages.

God would not be happy if they tracked through FB what I was cooking 

im not suggesting that , of course

some time  Tech-ies  get too Tech-ie

just saying.

if it had bluetooth fine adjustments to temp , w a probe feedback 

and not much else   Ether-Wise

Id be in.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

may I ask where you say those reviews ?

In the iTunes store. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog