• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I think you've summed up my reaction pretty well. It's not useless,  but I don't have much love for the device, and I have had enough frustrating experiences with it that I haven't been motivated to play with it much. I was aware of its design limitations when I got it, and was perfectly happy to live with a device with a limited feature set, but I haven't found the implementation to be particularly reliable.

My completely unsupported theory is that it has inadequate cooling, and ends up running into thermal protection limits when trying to sustain temperatures above boiling. I've had no major issues with it when cooking with water (or for low temperature tasks), but things like frying and candy making have not turned out particularly well for me, nor has cooking with cast iron.

The clip for the temperature probe also fits on absolutely nothing.

It is an unusually attractive burner for tabletop cooking, though...

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.

The lights in manual mode correlate to wattages:

Cooking power levels: 1- 100 Watt 2- 200 Watt 3- 300 Watt 4- 400 Watt 5- 600 Watt 6- 800 Watt 7- 1000 Watt 15 8- 1200 Watt 9- 1400 Watt 10- 1500 Watt

So not quite linear, but you can roughly think of it as 10% - 100% of potential output.

dtremit

dtremit

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I think you've summed up my reaction pretty well. It's not useless, or broken, but I don't have much love for the device, and I have had enough frustrating experiences with it that I haven't been motivated to play with it much. I was aware of its design limitations when I got it, and was perfectly happy to live with a device with a limited feature set, but I haven't found the implementation to be particularly reliable.

My completely unsupported theory is that it has inadequate cooling, and ends up running into thermal protection limits when trying to sustain temperatures above boiling. I've had no major issues with it when cooking with water (or for low temperature tasks), but things like frying and candy making have not turned out particularly well for me, nor has cooking with cast iron.

The clip for the temperature probe also fits on absolutely nothing.

It is an unusually attractive burner for tabletop cooking, though...

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.

The lights in manual mode correlate to wattages:

Cooking power levels: 1- 100 Watt 2- 200 Watt 3- 300 Watt 4- 400 Watt 5- 600 Watt 6- 800 Watt 7- 1000 Watt 15 8- 1200 Watt 9- 1400 Watt 10- 1500 Watt

So not quite linear, but you can roughly think of it as 10% - 100% of potential output.