• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I am very familiar with induction hobs, sous vide and my range is induction so none of the technology is new to me.  And yet I found when I attempted to use it just as an induction hob to cook a simple omelet that my frustration level became elevated very quickly. 

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.    Perhaps  I am just psychologically dependent on some indication of a range of power. (But I am in love with my Joule so that argument doesn’t hold much water!)

Connected to the app you can learn the surface temperature of the unit. Whether or not this translates to the surface temperature of the pan remains quite a mystery to me. But once connected to the app it seems you must constantly press the power button on the unit in order for it to respond to whatever temperature you input into the app.

Perhaps I have missed a step here that would get me over this. But the app seems reluctant to communicate with me in anyway unless it’s connected to the unit!  I want to be able to sit down with a scotch on one side of me and instructions on the other side and walk through them without anything being connected to anything!  

This is a very preliminary report on my response to my very first attempt to use the unit and should be taken as meaning very little at the moment.

Still I would love to hear from other people how they are making out with it. Obviously the enthusiasm we find here for the iInstant Pot is lacking for the Onetop. xD

OK so I poured my scotch after I found this. Now at least I can read and try to absorb instead of trying to operate two separate devices —my iPhone and the induction hob. 

Anna N

Anna N

So I have been loaned a Tasty Onetop to play with.  I am not sensing that any of our members who own one have any sort of warm fuzzy feeling about it.

I am very familiar with induction hobs, sous vide and my range is induction so none of the technology is new to me.  And yet I found when I attempted to use it just as an induction hob to cook a simple omelet that my frustration level became elevated very quickly. 

It is not necessary for it to be connected via Bluetooth to the iphone app but without the app you have no indication of what might be an appropriate temperature. By that I mean there are no marks to indicate high, medium, low. No numbers to suggest a range of power levels. There is only a series of lights.    Perhaps  I am just psychologically dependent on some indication of a range of power. (But I am in love with my Joule so that argument doesn’t hold much water!)

Connected to the app you can learn the surface temperature of the unit. Whether or not this translates to the surface temperature of the pan remains quite a mystery to me. But once connected to the app it seems you must constantly press the power button on the unit in order for it to respond to whatever temperature you input into the app.

Perhaps I have missed a step here that would get me over this. But the app seems reluctant to communicate with me in anyway unless it’s connected to the unit!  I want to be able to sit down with a scotch on one side of me and instructions on the other side and walk through them without anything being connected to anything!  

This is a very preliminary report on my response to my very first attempt to use the unit and should be taken as meaning very little at the moment.

Still I would love to hear from other people how they are making out with it. Obviously the enthusiasm we find here for the iInstant Pot is lacking for the Onetop. xD

OK so I poured mu scotch after I found this. Now at least I can read and try to absorb instead of trying to operate two separate devices —my iPhone and the induction hob. 

Anna N

Anna N