• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

52 minutes ago, boilsover said:

OK.  But the coil is going to cycle on and off, and as long as the PC is venting, it's a crude gauge of temperature.  To understand this, it helps to visualize a very large pot.with a large thermal mass.  The PIC software extrapolates what it thinks is the inside temp from the exterior reading.  It takes awhile to reach a steady state, and when it does, the coil cycles off waiting for the signal to switch on again.  There are overshoots and swings.

I don't know why you think there's any extrapolation going on. The surface temperature setting on the TOT is just that -- the temperature of the bottom surface of the pan. It's not trying to guess what the internal temperature is at all, just control the output based on the temperature sensed by the center button.

Does it cycle? Of course it does. But so does my radiant electric stove, at any setting except "high." And when my radiant stove cycles, the steam output on my PC cycles with it. The PC's steam output is much more consistent on the TOT than I have ever been able to achieve on my stove, suggesting the overshoots and swings are being maintained in a fairly small window.

dtremit

dtremit

45 minutes ago, boilsover said:

OK.  But the coil is going to cycle on and off, and as long as the PC is venting, it's a crude gauge of temperature.  To understand this, it helps to visualize a very large pot.with a large thermal mass.  The PIC software extrapolates what it thinks is the inside temp from the exterior reading.  It takes awhile to reach a steady state, and when it does, the coil cycles off waiting for the signal to switch on again.  There are overshoots and swings.

I don't know why you think there's any extrapolation going on. The surface temperature setting on the TOT is just that -- the temperature of the bottom surface of the pan. It's not trying to guess what the internal temperature is at all, just control the output based on the temperature sensed by the center button.

Does it cycle? Of course it does. But so does my radiant electric stove, at any setting except "high." And when my radiant stove cycles, the steam output on my PC cycles with it. The PC's steam output is much more consistent on the TOT than I have ever been able to achieve on my stove, suggesting the overshoots and swings are being maintained in a fairly small window.