• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Thanks for a chart. Those differences in temperatures seem more than reasonable!

I'm still waiting for my probe to be fixed/replaced (hoping it's just the probe, not the entire unit). I'm talking to a senior customer service representative, and I should have a new probe shipped soon. 

I did another test on the One Top using surface temps. This time cast iron. It still overshot by 150 degrees at first, but it's cast iron, so no fear in wrecking the coating! Once it stabilized, it was within 25 degrees at all times. Created some really nicely browned pan-fried french fries. Impressed. Highly recommend using cast iron or stainless steel when using the surface temperature function -- not nonstick teflon coatings.

The size of the cooking area seems to be contained to the much smaller inner circle. I discovered this by shifting around the pan and feeling the heat. This is no different from other portable inductions on the market, but I was really hoping for something closer to 10 inches :( The nice thing is that it's very clear which parts of the pan are getting direct heat. 

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Thanks for a chart. Those differences in temperatures seem more than reasonable!

I'm still waiting for my probe to be fixed/replaced (hoping it's just the probe, not the entire unit). I'm talking to a senior customer service representative, and I should have a new probe shipped soon. 

I did another test on the One Top using surface temps. This time cast iron. It still overshot by 150 degrees at first, but it's cast iron, so no fear in wrecking the coating! Once it stabilized, it was with 25 degrees at all times. Created some really nicely browned pan-fried french fries. Impressed. Highly recommend using cast iron or stainless steel when using the surface temperature function -- not nonstick teflon coatings.

The size of the cooking area seems to be contained to the much smaller inner circle. I discovered this by shifting around the pan and feeling the heat. This is no different from other portable inductions on the market, but I was really hoping for something closer to 10 inches :( The nice thing is that it's very clear which parts of the pan are getting direct heat.