• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Restaurant

3 hours ago, karenlucas said:

I own a restaurant in New Jersey with a sitting capacity of 200. I look forward to learn and to share.

Is there anything you're specifically looking to learn?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hi @karenlucas, and welcome to the forum!

I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about food until I found this place and joined up as a member about ten years later. Now I realize, I have only scratched the surface, and if I lived to be 100, I would never be able to learn everything about the cuisines, food cultures of the world, and the customs that surround food. There is so much to learn here.

I too would be very interested to hear more about your restaurant. What is the name; where is it; what kind of food do you serve; how long have you been in that business? I think many of us who love food fantasize about owning or running a restaurant, but it is a daunting business and not for those who do not like to work very hard and bring a passion for excellence. I'm sure there are many others besides me who would like to hear your stories about your life of owning a restaurant. You will also find many experienced folks here who are always willing to advise and help in any way they can.

Glad to see you here.

TftC

> ^ . . ^ <