• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paper napkins: Ontario, Canada: ISO thick single fold napkins

Darienne

Paper napkins in Ontario: DH does not like the single fold napkins which are kind of thin - but likes the double fold napkins which are thicker - but take up double the room in our napkin holder. Does anyone know of an Ontario grocery store which has the thicker single fold napkins? Thanks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I cannot attest to their availability, but would be surprised if they were not. I think the napkins called Impressions by Vanity Fair is pretty much what you are looking for. I hope this helps, I have a thing about napkins and used to use cloth ones all the time, but it is a full time job at the ironing board, so I compromise with these.

HC

56 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I cannot attest to their availability, but would be surprised if they were not. I think the napkins called Impressions by Vanity Fair is pretty much what you are looking for. I hope this helps, I have a thing about napkins and used to use cloth ones all the time, but it is a full time job at the ironing board, so I compromise with these.

HC

Face cloths from Costco designated as table napkins. No ironing needed. Very absorbent. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shop towels sound like a good idea.  And I have found online that Vanity Fair napkins are  at Walmart.  Not my favorite store, (or should I say favourite ?), but I'll give it a try.  

Also, we have a large group, both daily and overnight visitors, coming for the Annual Dog Weekend and this means a lot of napkins, so I guess I'm looking for two qualities of napkins after all.  

Thanks for the answers. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What is available in the US may not be here in Canada.

But weirdly enough, I think the dollar store has some thicker napkins in the party section. Some of them are fairly heavily printed, but some may be what you're looking for. We switched to cloth a few years ago and I have come to hate paper napkins - especially those thin, crinkly ones - for anything but a picnic. Had to fight my husband about this - he refused to use the cloth napkins because he said it felt wasteful to make more laundry. We argued. I won.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

What is available in the US may not be here in Canada.

But weirdly enough, I think the dollar store has some thicker napkins in the party section. Some of them are fairly heavily printed, but some may be what you're looking for. We switched to cloth a few years ago and I have come to hate paper napkins - especially those thin, crinkly ones - for anything but a picnic. Had to fight my husband about this - he refused to use the cloth napkins because he said it felt wasteful to make more laundry. We argued. I won.

Where is the laughing out loud button when you need it?  We'll try the dollar stores.  I was just looking for a quick answer.  

And, of course, you are correct about what is available in the US versus Canada.  A friend from the other side of the border just wrote that her Costco has a lovely single fold napkin...ours does not.  DH has looked.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.