• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tales from the Fragrant Harbour

Duvel

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Would you say that the kitchen of yours is of typical size in HK?  I've always heard that HK apartments are very small, but your kitchen is huge!  Do you live on Lantau all the time, or is it a weekend place?  If there all the time, what is your commute like - I assume you work in Central?

No, it's not normal. I am very provilidged to be the recipient of a very decent expat package. My apartment is very generous ...

On Friday, we will go to a local apparment. You will easily see the difference !

I live on Lantau, in Discovery Bay and commute to Central every day. Tomorrow I'll tell a bit more about my "hometown" and my day-to-day commute ...

• Like 4

After some days with great Japanese food I need to have something more “homey” (is that the word ?). Unfortunately, most of German comfort food is not readily available in Hong Kong, so I need to go the extra mile …

Today will be “Leberkaese mit Bratkartoffeln” or “Livercheese with home fries”. The former contains neither liver nor cheese but can be best described as a cross-over between a meatloaf and a bologna sausage.

Emulsifying the meat & fat …

WP_20170726_18_56_31_Rich.thumb.jpg.adcfcb0d9bc64485139872db4580e743.jpg

In the form.

WP_20170726_19_00_06_Rich.thumb.jpg.cfbc3e00ff80ab4da8b4d88c4593daa1.jpg

Baking.

WP_20170726_19_02_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.b85cbe918b24e647678b879973b70bbb.jpg

Done !

WP_20170726_19_59_43_Rich.thumb.jpg.29a0edddf83b7bc97b729b41b3463c06.jpg

Slicing & frying.

WP_20170726_20_01_28_Rich.thumb.jpg.06f9185d911838dc1d58e625d02c23a7.jpg

WP_20170726_20_04_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.d325fcd019000b3f34db639898adb41c.jpg

Final assembly (with pickle, Bavarian sweet mustard and curry ketchup) ...

WP_20170726_20_06_38_Rich.thumb.jpg.115dd920b7da674aad2c1278230f9494.jpg

Hits the spot every time xD

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Are those Japanese curry cubes in the yellow package?

Yup. "Apply honey" curry ... Haven't had that one yet, so I bought the mild version (so my son can enjoy it as well).

Hi Duvel!  I'm glued to my computer.  

I, too, love eel.  I only have had it when I got sushi years ago.  The tempura looks so light and fresh.  And the origami is the perfect touch.

I got claustrophobic just looking at the train picture :o

On your flight, (remember I don't get out much) I've never seen a mineral water packaged like that.  What are the veggies next to the rice?  Do I spy soybeans under there?

Your kitchen is very very nice and your spices and your fridge are so organized!  You've put me to shame...I'm going to have to clean out my fridge today now.  

In the baking ingredient section, what is the red item with the blue item inserted in the top?  

Gourmet salted egg crisps????  Those sound awesome.

I spy my favorite cookbook--Deep Run Roots :)

I LOVE love love seeing restaurant/airplane food, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing home cooking!  Your mixer is awesome.  I've never seen one like that.  What kind of fat and meat do you use?  Is it similar in texture to Spam?  It looks delicious.  

• Like 4

What they all said!  I am very impressed with that kitchen and with the well-packed organization.  Shelby already asked about the red-and-blue item, so I'll ask about the bowl in the refrigerator.  Is that the mixer bowl that was later put to use making the Leberkaese?  If so, do you usually store the bowl in the 'fridge, or was the photo taken when you already knew you needed a chilled bowl?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Your kitchen and cupboard/storage space are much bigger than mine and I live in a house! A very small house.

Leberkäse is not hard to make I don't know why they don't have it on menu at German places in town. There are at least 2 German bars/restaurants in HK (I remember drinking beer at both). Schnurrbart on LKF has Schmalz, it doesn't take much longer to make Leberkäse. But I think it's better to make something like this yourself, when you are homesick or not.

I like it, too. It's prevalent in Bavaria, but especially Franconia.

HN6lMAG.jpg

It's slightly different everywhere. Every butcher and bakery has their own seasoning.

GRsJcj2.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yup. "Apply honey" curry ... Haven't had that one yet, so I bought the mild version (so my son can enjoy it as well).

Interesting. The only ones I've ever seen here are just called curry sauce mix although they do come in several heat levels.  We are rather fond of the stuff.

• Like 1

OK so you are German and your wife is Catalan but I see everything in your kitchen is labeled in English?  I found that interesting. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I can buy the same brand here in mainland China. Never have, though. I'm not a big fan of Japanese curry.

I think House food's curry the most popular brand in Japan. They have a myriad of variety as well as their own chain of restaurants exclusively cooking with their product. I like it a bit better than the SB brand ...

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

Hi Duvel!  I'm glued to my computer.  

I, too, love eel.  I only have had it when I got sushi years ago.  The tempura looks so light and fresh.  And the origami is the perfect touch.

I got claustrophobic just looking at the train picture :o

On your flight, (remember I don't get out much) I've never seen a mineral water packaged like that.  What are the veggies next to the rice?  Do I spy soybeans under there?

Yes, the water is pretty standard. Easy to stack, probably. But it is not enough, merely a 150 mL. I always ask for more water and - if possible - bring an extra bottle from the lounge.

Next to the rice there were some carrots and green beans (kind of string beans, not soy). There was also a scallop, a shrimp and some sort of Kamaboko fishcake. All in all very healthy :)

Your kitchen is very very nice and your spices and your fridge are so organized!  You've put me to shame...I'm going to have to clean out my fridge today now.  

In the baking ingredient section, what is the red item with the blue item inserted in the top?  

Truth to be told especially my spice rack looked very chaotic for the first year. Then I found this cute metal dispensers and bought a labelling machine. Especially the latter is very addictive - for my wife at least - and by now everything get labelled :D

You mean this one ?

It's a plastic box full of sugar. The blue item is a spoon (kind of figurine, with feet on the bottom and a head on the top). Quite cute ...

Gourmet salted egg crisps????  Those sound awesome. 

They are very good and a popular item from Singapore. It's potato (sometimes also fried fish skin) dusted with freeze-dried salted duck egg yolk. Very savoury and very distinct taste. And veeeeeery addictive :$

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

I LOVE love love seeing restaurant/airplane food, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing home cooking!  Your mixer is awesome.  I've never seen one like that.  What kind of fat and meat do you use?  Is it similar in texture to Spam?  It looks delicious.  

It's a cheap Bosch, the basic German model actually. I always wanted a KitchenAid, but then again I am a cheapskate and the Bosch was with all the utensils about half the price of the KA. Go figure ...

Its fatty pork (neck / belly), minced. Traditionally a bit of beef is included, but I omit that because it's too expensive here. The texture is more like a cooked sausage, like Bologna or Mortadella. Span is not emulsified, so it's softer and more grainy. Leberkaese is very nice and truly comfort food (for me) ...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

What they all said!  I am very impressed with that kitchen and with the well-packed organization.  Shelby already asked about the red-and-blue item, so I'll ask about the bowl in the refrigerator.  Is that the mixer bowl that was later put to use making the Leberkaese?  If so, do you usually store the bowl in the 'fridge, or was the photo taken when you already knew you needed a chilled bowl?

The mixer bowl was specifically in the fridge for making the Leberkaese. If you want to emulsify the fat properly, everything has to be chilled, otherwise you risk to break the emulsion (and then you end up with leberkaese-flaovured meatloaf instead).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

OK so you are German and your wife is Catalan but I see everything in your kitchen is labeled in English?  I found that interesting. 

When we met some 14 years ago, none of us could speak the others language. So we communicated in English. We went together to Japan shortly after and ever since then all our "joint aquistions" (books, magazines, DVDs) have been in English as well, so that became the language of our household. As we were living most of the time in Germany afterwards, my wife has acquired German language skills up to the point where she is very comfortable talking/writing to members of my family and has no issues navigating her way through Germany. I do understand quite some Catalan, but my active vocabulary is still limited.

Ever since our son Arnau was born, we adopted the "one parent - one language" policy, and she speaks only Catalan to him and me only German, which in turn also helped us with a lot of new vocabulary simply by listening to the other partner talking. However, we moved to HK when he was about two years old, and his Kindergarten is of course in English, so by now he understands German and Catalan perfectly, but always answers in English ...

• Like 11

Good morning from Discovery Bay !

Again some background first: Discovery Bay is an artificial village. Supposedly it started as a project for a golf course in the eightees, which subsequently went bankrupt. An investor bought the land and developed it into some sort of residential resort. It is extremely popular with “younger” expat families due to an aboundance of Kindergartens and primary schools, playgrounds (literally every 500 m) and no cars. In DB only busses and golf carts are allowed, the latter limited to 500. As DB is located on an outer island (Lantau), prices per sqm are cheaper than in Central, which is offset by larger apartments. Many people here commute to Central, the financial & business district on Hong Kong island and so do I. It takes 30 min by ferry and it is 100% traffic jam free –very convenient in a chronically overcrowded city. As written, DB is the teasers it is “a nice place to live (for a while)” …

I live a couple of hundred meters away from the ferry pier; it's a pleasant 7 minute stroll (except during typhoon or black rain). This morning the weather was fantastic, at around 33 oC. Humidiy is quite high. Luckily the ferry has a very efficient a/c …

WP_20170727_07_36_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.96ebfd72c6a924b25caf3750f80fbf15.jpg

Hong Kong could probably best described as an archipelago distributed around the peninsula of Kowloon. Lieke DB there are many bays featuring little beaches and green Hinterland.

WP_20170727_07_37_44_Rich.thumb.jpg.580abcd5a6b5e884d31526f022550a87.jpgWP_20170727_07_38_21_Rich.thumb.jpg.f23e80b51bd7e2da5001d059644deac1.jpg 

The ferry is quite comfy, albeit in rush hour rather full. You are guaranteed to have a seat though. It costs 40 HKD one way ...

WP_20170727_07_39_37_Rich.thumb.jpg.0feb9b76d2ea4cda26645414dc0cdcf8.jpgWP_20170727_08_13_04_Rich.thumb.jpg.9aad1a30b0bf275473a21e2fc1facad1.jpg

As you might have already noticed, I do like to have a nice lunch and a nice dinner, so on usual days I skip breakfast. What I always have on the 30 min ferry ride to Central is a bottle of cold strong green tea.

WP_20170727_07_44_05_Rich.thumb.jpg.253d488f281a3b9f612b4600934b1ae8.jpg

Today I was feeling like a having a little snack, so I bought a sweet roll with bacon and egg.

WP_20170727_08_21_33_Rich.thumb.jpg.730b6f827b700f4bb6ac648166aa6485.jpgWP_20170727_08_29_04_Rich.thumb.jpg.d7a780637991eacb22fc015016770366.jpg

Hong Kong people would either have congee wioth fried dough sticks or the popular “western” breakfast options as depicted below.

WP_20170715_11_39_36_Rich.thumb.jpg.ebbe1ddf8a04f6d2e0dc80e9c1d11a72.jpg

They fall in the category “sai chaan”, a term coined for a happy cross-over cuisine that developed in Hong Kong and could best be described as the original Hong Kong-style Western kitchen. The macaroni noodles (upper left) are especially popular – they are even a breakfast option at the local McDonald’s!

Arriving in Central, it's another 8-10 min walk from the pier, mostly through a/c shopping centers. I work in Jardine House, here in the background with the round windows. It has a local nickname, that I won't mention as I work there myself :$

WP_20170727_08_15_03_Rich.jpg

Edited by Duvel
Clarification (log)
  • Like 11

Hong Kong has one of the broadest wealth distribution in the world. On one side you have the highest squaremeter rental costs anywhere on this planet, at the same time the current minimum wage was just raised to 35 HKD/hour, which is about 4.5 USD. This means HK needs quite a high volume of low cost dining options. And while we come back to quite a mix of basic & very fine food in the next days I’d like to show you what the average local HK family probably eats.

There are a couple of local fast food chains that cater to the local taste and provide inexpensive and tasty meals. Amongst places like Fairwood and Café de Corail, the chain MX is especially popular. It belongs to the largest catering group Maxim’s, that runs high-end dining establishments like the Peking Garden (with excellent Peking duck), Dim Sum places like Maxim’s City Hall (where I take you next week) and Maxim’s bakeries, well-known for their birthday cakes. At the low end is the inexpensive MX, where I headed today.

WP_20170727_12_58_52_Rich.thumb.jpg.180f4f8a7ff3de9fa2794639772cb4f6.jpg

You can order electronically & pay via “Octopus” (a pay-as-you-go card that is linked to the public transport system, but functions also as an electronic wallet). Then get your receipt, queue and try to find a place to sit.

WP_20170727_13_09_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.f92f137d09a1bf09323b39924a359516.jpgWP_20170727_13_00_19_Rich.thumb.jpg.193b45bc23fe91cb68bc976a4c5b3906.jpgWP_20170727_12_59_05_Rich.thumb.jpg.5dc50c53ccb834986cb6ae70e6a1fcb5.jpg

To elaborate on the “sai chaan” theme I ordered one of HK’s comfort food choices par excellence: Baked pork chop rice (焗豬扒飯). It’s a deep-fried pork shop smothered in a sweet’n’sour gravy with pineapple, peas, onions, then placed over boiled rice and broiled. Cheese is sometimes added. It’s savoury, sweet and filling. Together with a lime soda for 49 HKD, a bit more than 6 USD.

WP_20170727_13_09_27_Rich.thumb.jpg.fd0310526adbdec8d09286d508860208.jpgWP_20170727_13_02_34_Rich.thumb.jpg.35f836efa2938e2483b22fdf2f34f515.jpgWP_20170727_13_02_58_Rich.thumb.jpg.a21ee4552f69a0e5d997a95b583275a7.jpg

I skipped dessert, but this place is a popular choice for all thinks coconut, mango and durian. I think all of their options would have more calories than the pork chop, though. Maybe another day …

WP_20170727_12_56_20_Rich.thumb.jpg.a769cbfeb75f08e99dff4c419c12f701.jpgWP_20170727_12_56_25_Rich.thumb.jpg.2ed830c05e1274034ce90fea6c3df529.jpgWP_20170727_12_56_35_Rich.thumb.jpg.0544cdeb7f2b7f92e474621bb810620a.jpg

• Like 15

I would like a commute like yours @Duvel. I found this translation of HKD to USD so $5.12 US, and certainly not more than one would pay here to insure and maintain a car and fuel it on an average commute. Plus no traffic to deal with and beautiful views as you arrive to and from work. Not so sure about the typhoons, though. That would certainly be rough.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

12 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I would like a commute like yours @Duvel. I found this translation of HKD to USD so $5.12 US, and certainly not more than one would pay here to insure and maintain a car and fuel it on an average commute. Plus no traffic to deal with and beautiful views as you arrive to and from work. Not so sure about the typhoons, though. That would certainly be rough.

It is very convenient indeed. You can even sleep on the ferry ...

And no worries for rough sea: for typhoons / black rain there is a comprehensive forecast system. Both phenomena are announced on a scale of increasing severity, and if typhoon warning is expected to change from level 3 to level 8 or heavy rain is going up from amber to black rain, public transport (including ferries, subways, busses) is suspended. This is done with a pre-warning time of about three hours so you can make it home in time.

• Like 3

Your commute to a major city is something in my husband's dreams! We live 22 miles outside of Manhattan but he has to take a 59 minute train ride before catching the ferry to lower Manhattan. It must be so nice to have the mix of the suburbs and city without a huge amount of traffic and or switching methods of commuting. 

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Loving this.

*trying to figure out what the nickname for your work place is......*  :D

Read through this  and all will be revealed.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today's weather didn't keep. A view from my office window over the Victoria harbor ...

WP_20170727_16_51_28_Rich.thumb.jpg.ec87f1b8eddddf6508727afa9274c2b9.jpg

On my way back to the ferry pier I have to cross the IFC (Internnational Finance Center) with its shopping mall. Kid's entertainment ...

WP_20170727_17_07_43_Rich.thumb.jpg.551423e750b172f7bd82cb7689fce703.jpg

A local chain called city'super has a store just next ot the exit I need to take. Very convenient (you may need to enlarge the pictures to compare prices)

WP_20170727_17_09_21_Rich.thumb.jpg.a59fe6fd01badb2b3c59c0299f90b5cb.jpg

Fruit section with giant melon ...

WP_20170727_17_09_33_Rich.thumb.jpg.4062f56fa326ca1eeff8a18bae9e0c90.jpgWP_20170727_17_09_48_Rich.thumb.jpg.8c644c8d16829da4fd2b61847e8c8b3f.jpg

Soy milk & tofu ...

WP_20170727_17_10_00_Rich.thumb.jpg.10c26e6689b2df0aa242cbc491d314e6.jpg

City'super usually has some promotion going on. Right now it's Korean weeks ...

WP_20170727_17_10_38_Rich.thumb.jpg.9af3e6bb02c434ce846341491c5aec1c.jpg

Caviar & salmon section (I never buy here ...)

WP_20170727_17_11_59_Rich.jpg

Cheese (only when special offers discount the stuff by 50% or more)

WP_20170727_17_12_05_Rich.jpg

Sushi & Sashimi (excellent and affordable)

WP_20170727_17_12_32_Rich.jpg

Fresh fish (decent)

WP_20170727_17_12_50_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_13_02_Rich.jpg

Oysters. You can buy them and eat them at the counter behind ...

WP_20170727_17_13_22_Rich.jpg

Prepared shellfish and lobster ...

WP_20170727_17_13_45_Rich.jpg

Meat. All imported. And Wagyu, of course ...

WP_20170727_17_14_06_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_14_21_Rich.jpg

Sake section. I buy here very often ...

WP_20170727_17_15_26_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_15_45_Rich.jpg

Beer section. With special focus on local beers ...

WP_20170727_17_16_01_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_16_15_Rich.jpg

HK condiments (need to enlarge).

WP_20170727_17_16_42_Rich.jpg

Panorama view.

WP_20170727_17_18_10_Rich.jpg

Baking section. Excellent choices ....

WP_20170727_17_18_25_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_18_35_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_19_16_Rich.jpg

Kimchi and other Tsukemono ...

WP_20170727_17_19_38_Rich.jpg

Rice.

WP_20170727_17_19_47_Rich.jpg

Baked goods.

WP_20170727_17_19_59_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_20_07_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_20_13_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_20_30_Rich.jpg

WP_20170727_17_20_47_Rich.jpg

I purchased the Uji Matcha Danish and the Edamame Pesto bun. The latter was not good ...

WP_20170727_17_21_31_Rich.jpg

Poultry.

WP_20170727_17_22_45_Rich.jpg

More meat ...

WP_20170727_17_22_57_Rich.jpg

Wine. Yeah !!! (just faaar to expensive)

WP_20170727_17_23_09_Rich.jpg

And cold cuts.

WP_20170727_17_25_31_Rich.jpg

Out of the IFC, and on my way to the ferry I have a nice view over the Kowloon skyline ...

WP_20170727_17_28_10_Rich.jpg

The ferry pier in central.

WP_20170727_17_30_58_Rich.jpg

The beer bay is as popular as it is dangerous. Why not another beer at tropical outside temperatures with neighbours and friends before heading home ? It has gotten late now and then ...

WP_20170727_17_31_12_Rich.jpg

Even more dangerous is the snack bar next to it. Chicken skewers with sweet soy sauce and drunken tummies are a very troublesome combination.

WP_20170727_17_31_28_Rich.jpg

The ferry ...

WP_20170727_17_39_29_Rich.jpg

And in order to maintain a timely ferry schedule I buy my beer at City'super :D

WP_20170727_17_41_39_Rich.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17

Catalan diner tonight: “Mongetes amb choriço” or “Beans with chorizo”. Beans soaked, then cooked in the rice cooker (brown rice setting, two cycles) with sofregit, pork belly and smoked polish sausage (in lieu of another smoked pork product). Fried pieces of choriço added with their oil and cooked together for a couple of minutes more to harmonize the flavors.

WP_20170727_18_53_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.50633cde55392d08db6fcf5d25c0d9b2.jpg

Served with bread, a couple of tapas and home-made chicken croquettes.

WP_20170727_18_53_52_Pro.thumb.jpg.59da0a1618223439888c6c24b5d1289b.jpgWP_20170727_18_54_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.ed8f1c84633353ee6d9df657e447f055.jpg

Typically I would have a nice red with that, but at >30 oC, a chilled Riesling did the job much better. “Riesling No. 1” by Markus Schneider, Ellerstadt. My last bottle …

WP_20170727_18_54_19_Pro.thumb.jpg.a70662f24928e50522f597722d3c5b0f.jpg

• Like 15