• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville setting for Frozen Foods:

Darienne

Unless I am mistaken, the manual for my new Breville Smart Oven Pro says nothing about how to use the "Frozen Foods" designation.  This category of heating is allowed only at 4 settings: toast, bagel, pizza and cookies.  And it says nothing about how to use it.  I searched under "frozen foods" in e Gullet and online and still couldn't find anything.  No doubt this is my mistake, but someone please help me and tell me what it's for and how to use it.  Thanks.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You are correct--the manual is opaque about this.

As far as I can tell, the little "Frozen" button merely extends the cooking time by an arbitrarily-set duration intended to cook frozen foods, where their thawed brethren would overcook.  In practice, this feature is as fraught and imprecise as the difference in setting "4 slices" vs. "6 slices" in Toast mode.

If you're willing to take the time, you can compare the regular duration with the "Frozen" duration (in all authorized modes), simply by starting a cycle in the cool oven with one setting and then the other.  I think I may have posted this boring information at a competing site...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boilsover said:

You are correct--the manual is opaque about this.

It is indeed. Read most of the way through it with a little information about that frozen function. But I suspect that you are correct. My Breville has a frozen button, also.  Never found a reason to use it though. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

It is indeed. Read most of the way through it with a little information about that frozen function. But I suspect that you are correct. My Breville has a frozen button, also.  Never found a reason to use it though. 

I've tried it with frozen crappo supermarket pizza.  It works about as well as pizza in general--not very well.

• Like 2