• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

6 months growing my business challenge

Franci

On 12/30/2017 at 1:14 PM, Steve R. said:

We had friends coming over for a holiday dinner last night, so we went to our usual neighborhood butcher, Della Pietra.   While there, we picked up a limoncello cake for dessert.  Everyone loved it.

I just figured that this would be a good time to let you know that, whenever we’ve been in there, the guys at Della Pietra have regularly been overheard recommending your baked goods.

Sorry you’re leaving Brooklyn.  Best wishes in Florida.

Hi Steve! Thanks. I am renting kitchen very close to Dellapietras, at one Girl Cookies on Dean, I’d gladly offer you coffee. I am there T-W-T during school hours. 

Guys, I’ve not updated you with how things are going. I’ll be closing the business. I am not sure on the exact date but before June. To summarize it, it’s just a matter of scale. At this scale it doesn’t work...I’d need to invest much more time and money into this business that I am willing to, it’s really  that simple. And I am moving. I don’t want to sell the business because I think in some years, when the situation is different,  I’d want to go back to it. I think my customers will miss me and in this little part of Brooklyn I have my followers but it’s not enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

45 minutes ago, Franci said:

Guys, I’ve not updated you with how things are going. I’ll be closing the business. I am not sure on the exact date but before June. To summarize it, it’s just a matter of scale. At this scale it doesn’t work...I’d need to invest much more time and money into this business that I am willing to, it’s really  that simple. And I am moving. I don’t want to sell the business because I think in some years, when the situation is different,  I’d want to go back to it. I think my customers will miss me and in this little part of Brooklyn I have my followers but it’s not enough. 

That's a shame, but knowing when to pull the plug is one of the most under-rated entrepreneurial skills.

• Like 12

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, Franci said:

I’ll be closing the business.  ...  At this scale it doesn’t work...I’d need to invest much more time and money into this business that I am willing to, it’s really  that simple. And I am moving. I don’t want to sell the business because I think in some years, when the situation is different,  I’d want to go back to it. I think my customers will miss me and in this little part of Brooklyn I have my followers but it’s not enough. 

Darn it, Franci, you were making it look easy!  I was looking up to you! :)

Can I ask what investments scaling would require?  Is it the equipment, labor, sales & marketing, everything?  Scaling is the big question for me in 2018. I sold a ton in November & December, so I know I can produce a lot with limited equipment.  Now my challenge is selling more in the off season and streamlining packaging and production overall.

I agree with not selling the business.  A new owner would not have the same love or skill and won't want to pay for all you've put into it.  I have my eye on a bakery business that's for sale, but I don't really want their business, just their built-out kitchen! 

I am incredibly sad to hear that you have concluded that closing the business is the appropriate action for you. I wish it were otherwise. But I am with @chromedome on this.  It takes wisdom and courage to make such a decision.

We have not heard the last of you and your cakes, Franci.  Of that I am sure. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you guys! I cannot say enough good things about all the great and supportive persons I’ve met on Egullet. You really helped so much! 

I am happy about starting this business, what I’ve accomplished, the exerience gained and all. 

@pastrygirl I guess the scaling issue is different depending from the product. For myself, making cakes, the only way I can see is trying to extend the shelf life of the cakes, if I want to keep it wholesale. Otherwise just open a front store...

@blue_dolphin I think it will be easier for me to think about the possibility of having a Dolci di Franci in Miami after some time there. I don’t know the place and I’d need a little time to get comfortable, look around, meet locals...

@Anna N I particularly want to thank you and Kerry for the great support! Definitely I’m playing with the idea of selling the salami online...it doesn’t require a big kitchen...so maybe if I encounter a good marketing person. Don’t know. For now I confess that I am looking for a break, organize my move, settle in, a good vacation in the summer and then we’ll see. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 13

4 minutes ago, Franci said:

For myself, making cakes, the only way I can see is trying to extend the shelf life of the cakes, if I want to keep it wholesale.

That's actually why I'm focusing on chocolates for my  business.  I still worry about shelf life, but at least I have the luxury of thinking in weeks or months, not days. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

• Like 1

I have not follow this thread until now. I wish I had earlier. 

I could have given you some unique suggestions, which may or may not be of any use.

There is a place in NYC called Tiro A Segno (77 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012). It's an upscale private lunch/dinner club, frequented by many top business and political figures. As a magazine article called it, "The privatiest of all private clubs". They are always looking for great pastries vendors with an Italian connection.

Many political functions look for interesting pastry suppliers. Two weeks ago I was in one with Bill De Blasio complaining how lousy the pastries were. And he was being kind.

But you will be moving to Florida.

dcarch

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Franci said:

Hi Steve! Thanks. I am renting kitchen very close to Dellapietras, at one Girl Cookies on Dean, I’d gladly offer you coffee. I am there T-W-T during school hours. 

I would love to but we’re on our way to Florida ourselves (for the winter).  Gulf Coast, just south of Clearwater Beach.  I’m looking forward to feeling my toes & fingers again.  Think you’ll still be there in April?

eta: I wrote the above before catching up with the thread & finding out that you’re closing down.  Sorry to hear it.

Edited by Steve R. (log)

@Franci this is very sad.  A dear friend said recently that what your internet business needed was a good packaging engineer.  (Her husband is a packaging engineer.)

Thank you again for the cakes and sorry that I didn't try the pistachio.  Best of success in Florida!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, Franci said:

Thank you guys! I cannot say enough good things about all the great and supportive persons I’ve met on Egullet. You really helped so much! 

I am happy about starting this business, what I’ve accomplished, the exerience gained and all. 

@pastrygirl I guess the scaling issue is different depending from the product. For myself, making cakes, the only way I can see is trying to extend the shelf life of the cakes, if I want to keep it wholesale. Otherwise just open a front store...

@blue_dolphin I think it will be easier for me to think about the possibility of having a Dolci di Franci in Miami after some time there. I don’t know the place and I’d need a little time to get comfortable, look around, meet locals...

@Anna N I particularly want to thank you and Kerry for the great support! Definitely I’m playing with the idea of selling the salami online...it doesn’t require a big kitchen...so maybe if I encounter a good marketing person. Don’t know. For now I confess that I am looking for a break, organize my move, settle in, a good vacation in the summer and then we’ll see. 

Franci - congrats on making a wise decision, and thinking about the long-term, as opposed to the short.

The only advice I can offer about Miami is to live somewhere that won't end up flooding once a month (or weekly, perhaps)...that's bad for baking!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 9:05 PM, Steve R. said:

I would love to but we’re on our way to Florida ourselves (for the winter).  Gulf Coast, just south of Clearwater Beach.  I’m looking forward to feeling my toes & fingers again.  Think you’ll still be there in April?

Business not sure will be open in April but I’ll be in Brooklyn until end of the school in June. I’ll be happy to grab a coffee 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:03 AM, weinoo said:

The only advice I can offer about Miami is to live somewhere that won't end up flooding once a month (or weekly, perhaps)...that's bad for baking!

Thanks Mitch. I already know we’ll be living in Coconut Grove. As for the business I will see what to do. I think I need to spend some time in Florida to decide. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

It was very interesting to learn your experience, I will try to strive for a similar result) There are now some ideas and ideas on the case that interests me, but I am trying to choose a work model and a platform. So far, I liked the example of the Splento (https://www.splento.com/commercial-photographer-london) photo agency most of all, in terms of acting as an intermediary between the contractor and the customer.

Edited by George_Bradley (log)

@George_Bradley I hope not, for you, I am saying. Ah, ah, in the end a lot of effort for the result. Too bad because the product was good, very good potential.  I just speak for myself,  I was missing a good partner to do what I was not good at. Maybe if I can find that person in my new location I might think about it. Good luck!

• Like 2