• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Replicating the flavour of Iron Brew

tinman

Everyone knows that the recipe for Barr's "Irn Bru" drink is secret.

However, many different alternative brands of Iron Brew exist, and various Iron-Brew-flavoured products (e.g. sweets, ice cream, beer/cider/spirits, e-cigarette liquids) also exist, so there must be a fairly well-known way to replicate the taste, and various recipes which probably come very close to the original.

I'm keen to create my own flavouring from scratch but I can't find any information whatsoever on a possible recipe.

Various recipes for drinks such as Coca Cola are easily available but I can't find anything for Iron Brew.

Has anyone here tried to create their own Iron Brew flavour or know of anyone who has?

There are some trade secrets which have never managed to be revealed. IIRC, the Dr. Pepper and Moxie formulas are still secret.

I have never tasted Irn Bru, if I ever find some, I'll let you know what I think is in it. (I worked briefly for a US soft drink company developing flavors, and I am pretty good at replicating some newer drinks.)