• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog Fanfare

Smithy

Somewhere in all these guesses, the blogger has been named. Shall I reveal the winner now, or let you all puzzle on it longer?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Longer. Even though I am not playing,  just watching. 

No! No!  That's just not fair.  Damn at least let us see the rest of that picture that might be the backend of a hotdog bun, a german sausage or a stalk of sumac....

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No! No!  That's just not fair.  Damn at least let us see the rest of that picture that might be the backend of a hotdog bun, a german sausage or a stalk of sumac....

WP_20160611_15_52_00_Rich.jpg.0cc64aa04c9deab8bf2b328eeab4434f.jpg

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well thanks. But that didn't help a whole lot.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, KennethT said:

incense close-up?

Yes indeed.  Our blogger reports that he lives where you can find "tranquility (if you just look hard enough) ..."

It DOES look a lot like a cattail, without that burning tip.

39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Reinforces my @Duvel guess

...and again, yes, since you're going to abandon your Franci guess. :P

This is such a quick group!  I'm still trying to work out the optimum lead time for foodblogs: enough time to work up attention, not so much that interested readers will have to cool their figurative heels between the revelation and the opening. Over the next day, roughly, I'll share with you the rest of Duvel's teaser photos and captions. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Yes indeed.  Our blogger reports that he lives where you can find "tranquility (if you just look hard enough) ..."

It DOES look a lot like a cattail, without that burning tip.

...and again, yes, since you're going to abandon your Franci guess. :P

This is such a quick group!  I'm still trying to work out the optimum lead time for foodblogs: enough time to work up attention, not so much that interested readers will have to cool their figurative heels between the revelation and the opening. Over the next day, roughly, I'll share with you the rest of Duvel's teaser photos and captions. 

Now she's going to be even more impossible to live with. Thanks a lot. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Now she's going to be even more impossible to live with. Thanks a lot. 

xD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Smithy - any chance you keep track of the number of times I've been right? (say's she who will be impossible to live with!)

That's above my pay grade!

Just now, Smithy said:

That's above my pay grade!

Whew!  Bragging rights can get unbearable. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

I still say it's a corn dog.

:P

Oh, and Kerry never guessed me when I did my blog......just sayin'...........

:P:P

Them corn dogs burn like a bitch!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

So the first picture represents his Catalan wife?

You'll have to ask him that, since he simply captioned it "wide open spaces". I assumed it was a view from one of the peaks of Hong Kong, looking out to sea the way the traders did to catch early views of their ships, in James Clavell's Tai Panir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=044018462.

Ah, I see you've posted an "oops" (see that, Anna N?) since I started typing.  I'll leave this up anyway; Tai Pan is a great book.  Maybe I'll go reread it.

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You'll have to ask him that, since he simply captioned it "wide open spaces". I assumed it was a view from one of the peaks of Hong Kong, looking out to sea the way the traders did to catch early views of their ships, in James Clavell's Tai Panir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=044018462.

Ah, I see you've posted an "oops" (see that, Anna N?) since I started typing.  I'll leave this up anyway; Tai Pan is a great book.  Maybe I'll go reread it.

I loved that book also, but then all his books are great.  Looking forward to the food blog.

I thought of @Duvel when I saw that first picture.  I remember being very impressed with the scenery on the drive to visit Repulse Bay & Stanley and also on Lamma Island but I didn't recognize the exact location and I heard some very confident voices who recognized Portugal :D 

• Like 2