• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide lamb satay

Josh71

Many people would think this idea is weird, but I would like to make lamb satay, prepared using sous vide method.

When we grill lamb satay in traditional way using charcoal grill, my wife often complaint it's too rare! 

That's one of the reason for this sous vide, besides .. why not?!! :)

So, I like my lamb satay medium (doneness), and of course tender.

Usually, I use lamb shoulder, cut into pieces about 2 cm.

And no marinade, no aromathic needed to prepare the meat.

When grilling, I toss it to sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) mixed with oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, that's all.

Now, what would you recommend for sous vide temperature and time?

Honestly, I have never done lamb sous vide.

One reference that I found suggest 55C/131F for 12 hours.

https://stefangourmet.com/2016/03/31/sate-kambing-lamb-or-goat-satay-with-peanut-sauce/

What do you think? Any better suggestions?

Oh also, I would put few drops of liquid smoke in the sous vide bag to get that smoky aroma :)

Thanks. 

I pulled out my Baldwin and :

Lamb shoulder  medium  :  140 F  ( 60 C )  2 - 3 days

personally i love lamb rare , yet tender

you can only get that w SV

as you are going to grill the fully poked meat , and its not going to be too thck

Id then suggest for the SV part

the 130F ( 55 C ) as noted.

for shoulder Baldwin still suggests 1 - 2 days

all the tender cuts re Baldwin are for 1 - 3 hours  depending on the cut

and sirloin  6 - 8 H

id be careful w undiluted liquid smoke in the bags.

maybe dilute it w water and then cover the cut with that and let it dry out a bit in the refrigerator ?

tha's only a guess   Im wondering if a few drops would be adsorbed by only bits of the cut of meat and those

might have an overwhelming smoky taste      Im only guessing and have no personal data to back that up.

wi will say  lamb  does get to be very tender w a coating of non-fat ( or full fat ) yogurt kept in the refrig for 24 hours then

wiped off.  so that you grill ' dry '

what id try is  ;  your meat cut and coated w yogurt with a little liquid smoke mixed in for 24

wipped dry then those SV time you suggested.

good luck and please report back

• Like 3