• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlotte Molds

JoNorvelleWalker

Once upon a time I had a tin lined Charlotte mold.  Back in the '70's when I was enamored of Irma Rombauer* and tended to make Charlottes.  My Charlotte mold is mentioned here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/27031-updating-the-kitchen-essentials/?do=findComment&comment=2023190

I say "had" because I think I threw it out along with the Mouli graters and other corroded cookware.  If it is here I can't find it.  Anyhow, today I perused a recipe that calls out for a Charlotte mold, and spent the afternoon and evening searching the internet for same -- stainless or stainless lined this time, if you please.

It seems most molds are too big or too small.  De Buyer makes a range of sizes but I can't find a US source.  Around 14 cm to 16cm was what I had in mind.  Closest I've found is an 18cm Mauviel from WS** and hence expensive.  The nearest size Matfer Bourgeat offers is 20cm, which is too big.

Thoughts or suggestions?

*I am still enamored of Irma Rombauer.

**The US Mauviel site does not mention Charlotte molds and I cannot find a French website for Mauviel.  Plus I don't speak French.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Odd, I thought I replied to this?  It may be the heat or the rum.

I don't do eBay but when I looked around I did not see anything of interest.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou