• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MRE

MRE

I started noticing this change in texture/quality several months ago. At first I didn't give it a lot of thought, just thinking it was an odd, one off type of thing. The breasts have gotten so large now (10 plus ounces for a boneless/skinless half breast?) that they seem more like small turkeys than chicken. That odd, almost gristly texture in these breasts is very off putting. The only use that I can make of them is to mince them and make something with that. I've tried a number of the premium, organic, free range, blah, blah, blah, (Rocky, Rosie) and they have been just as bad. I'm cooking a lot less chicken now, because I can't depend on it to be good. I'm using a lot more thigh and leg meat when I do cook chicken. At least that still cooks up ok. I wish that I could afford the thirty plus dollar chickens that they sell at the farmer's markets around here, because the Frankenchicken in the stores is not worth buying regardless of how cheaply they sell it for.

MRE

MRE

I started noticing this change in texture/quality several months ago. At first I didn't give a lot of thought, just thinking it was an odd, one off type of thing. The breasts have gotten so large now (10 plus ounces for a boneless/skinless half breast?) that they seem more like small turkeys than chicken. That odd, almost gristly texture in these breasts very off putting. The only use that I can make of them is to mince them and make something with that. I've tried a number of the premium, organic, free range, blah, blah, blah, (Rocky, Rosie) and they have been just as bad. I'm cooking a lot less chicken now, because I can't depend on it to be good. I'm using a lot more thigh and leg meat when I do cook chicken. At least that still cooks up ok. I wish that I could afford the thirty plus dollar chickens that they sell at the farmer's markets around here, because the Frankenchicken in the stores is not worth buying regardless of how cheaply they sell it for.