• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
haresfur

What are you sipping these days?

We go on about cocktails and such but what are you sitting down with to sip on its own? Maybe with some liquid or solid water, maybe neat? A dash of something else, perhaps, who am I to make rules? I'm sure you know what I mean - for me it is something to contemplate, or keep me company while I contemplate the universe.

Today, I dug out my bottle of EL LADRÓN REPOSADO from Venus Spirits in Santa Cruz California. For me it is best in small amounts, neat. I am very happy.

el-ladron-reposado.jpg?format=750w

For me it always seems to be WhistlePig or Singani (the Bolivian grape spirit).  Or for a change, Del Maguey Tobala.  And not to forget Glendalough Mountain Strength Poitin.  I'd add absinthe but I am out of the green fairy.   Towards the fall I might choose 12 year Laird's.

In the closet there are unopened old Martinique and Jamaican rums.  They may or may not go into mai tai's.  The aged Pusser's and Gosling's I've tried for sipping I do not enjoy.

Should I choose something sweet most likely it is Chartreuse V.E.P.  The color depending on my mood.

• Like 1

For the first time I am sitting down with a glass of La Favorite Vieux.  Compared to Neisson it tastes a little light -- even though the color is darker -- but then I notice it is only 40%.  If I can ever find the mai tai thread I will report on La Favorite Vieux in a mai tai.

• Like 1

Sipping a variety.   Bourbons, Barbados rum, Armagnac and malts during any given week or day.  

• Like 1

Bourbon, G&T, red wine

I'm sipping Asian Pear Cordial made by a friend of mine.

• Like 1

I know this will probably get me kicked off of eG forever but I have been enjoying the Black Box Rose lately.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From Lidl, on a hot day in the garden, this did me proud and only 89Pence:

IMG_5158.jpg

Today I mixed my first vodka martini, made with Stoli Pepper and cocktail onions.  

Normally I have a dirty martini with gin but this is better.

34525335_10101147335068491_4432516973728

I think the two most expensive rum bottles I've bought. The one on the right is especially worth it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

34525335_10101147335068491_4432516973728

I think the two most expensive rum bottles I've bought. The one on the right is especially worth it

It does look very interesting (I love the Capovilla PMG blanc, it is sublime)! Do you have any tasting notes on the Liberation 2015?

Posted (edited)

Looks nice, too bad great (rarely even good!) rum does not make its way to Ontario (regardless of the fact that we have one of the largest liquor buying powers in the world)!

Edited by TicTac (log)

7 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

It does look very interesting (I love the Capovilla PMG blanc, it is sublime)! Do you have any tasting notes on the Liberation 2015?

Yes, it's phenomenally good. It's a bit oak-heavy, but it's fantastically complex, and I wouldn't necessarily guess it was a cane juice rum if I didn't know. It reminds me of the really high-end Foursquares that I've tried. A real masterpiece.

Not that you asked, but the Caroni is very good, but I don't think it's worth the price (even for a defunct distillery)- there are other Caronis on the market with a similar profile that don't cost this much (although not from Velier)

• Like 1

I was in the mood for some Armagnac, but the cupboard was bare. Well, not bare and this Teelings Whiskey, in a wood-fired sake cup, is nice indeed.

single_grain-219x500.png

Flush with L' Encantada armangacs so have been exploring other spirits.   Recently got a lead on a 15 yr old single cask Inchmurrin malt which as been very enjoyable.  Picked some Monkey Shoulders as a house scotch.  Elijah Craig barrel proof C917 has been very enjoyable.  Have some Old Forrester 1920 which I really like is In route.  Since a recent rum filled trip to Barbados with a few rum fanatics  to visit the Seales, more Barbados rum has been in the rotation.   No vodka has been consumed unless in a Bloody Mary 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Family photo.  Missing a few

99D3B1F0-1216-4195-A947-5F0AA8068441.jpeg

1. How does the 2005 compare to the 04? I had some 04 last night and just bought a bottle of 05 but haven't opened it yet.

2. WHERE DID YOU GET THE PRINCIPIA?!!

13 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

1. How does the 2005 compare to the 04? I had some 04 last night and just bought a bottle of 05 but haven't opened it yet.

2. WHERE DID YOU GET THE PRINCIPIA?!!

Principia was a gift from Richard Seale.  A group of rum lovers aka geeks traveled to Barbados recently and spent a week with the Seales, visiting their distillery as well as touring Mount Gay and St Nicholas Abby.   Each attende received a Principia before dinner and raiding the Foursquare gift shop.  Richard and Gayle really treated us so well.  Rum family.  

Lots of fish cakes, Banks and 10 Saints beer.  

'04 and '05 are certainly close relatives. In side by sides, I'm leaning toward the '05 tonight.   But it can change day to day.  I tend to get more fruit on the '04 and a touch more wood and spice on the '05.  Find the '04 a little sweeter

• Like 1

Sipping a private barrel pick of a 14 yo Arran scotch.  Really a delicious pour. 

• Like 3

Adams Mill bourbon. Not Pappy, but not crazy expensive. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Mezcales de Leyenda's Guerrero which is made from one of my favorite agave species -- cupreata. Tropical fruits, vegetables, and smoke. A lot of complexity in every sip. The bottle also is special since I got it in Mexico 2-3 years ago before Leyenda started importing it to the States, and luckily I paid a lot less than it costs here now.

Sign in to follow this