• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tales of the Cocktail (2017)

J_Ozzy

Anyone headed to Tales next week?

I'll be there Monday to Saturday; looking forward to some really interesting seminars (bottle aging; centrifuge techniques with Dave Arnold), the "Montreal cocktail" event (hometown presence :) ), the annual d.b.a. non-event, and the food, drink, and merriment of the French Quarter overrun by bartenders.

• 2 weeks later...

I survived despite being a Tales virgin! Foolishly did serious damage to myself at Latitude 29 on Monday before Tales even really got started.

Violet Hour at Cure was fun.

Got to try Foursquare Triptych, the 2006 Blend and new Criterion.

5977c86cb6d09_FoursquareCriterion.jpg.24d655c1733233b3a8b02a14cd2f98ec.jpg

Hope I can get a Criterion but the odds seem long.

Did some great rum seminars (and some whisky and especially Chartreuse!)

Shared a drink with the likes of Richard Seale, and Luca Gargano. Attended seminars with the those two and Jeff Berry, David Wondrich, Joy Spencer, Martin Cates and others.

Not sure it could have been much better!

By Saturday evening I had pretty much hit a wall (OK, maybe several...) so I was glad to have survived and ready to head home.

Edited by tanstaafl2
2006 blend is the Europe only blend and one that I tried. The 2004 is the US blend and I had already "sampled" quite a bit of it long before I got to Tales! (log)
  • Like 6

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Nice!

I made it to the Violet Hour takeover of Cure as well. I was in the second Chartreuse session, did they also have the 1972 VEP Jaune in the first?

The Ferrand / Plantation Chamber of Secrets and the Centrifuge session were the highlights for me. I thought the Johnnie + Soda Shoppe was my favorite pop-up, if only for the boozy ice cream floats in the New Orleans heat.

I was 1 for 3 getting into Latitude (Monday as well), checked out Cane and Table, made it out to Bacchanal when I had a bit of downtime on Friday (and promptly got boxed in by a freight train for 30 minutes when I was done); some quick lunches at the Alibi, Erin Rose / Killer Po-Boys, Johnny's and Arnaud's Remoulade sustained me between sessions on other days when my schedule was tight.

I saw johnder run by a couple times, and donbert co-hosted the centrifuge seminar, but had other responsibilities shortly thereafter; I didn't find a moment to say hi.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, J_Ozzy said:

Nice!

I made it to the Violet Hour takeover of Cure as well. I was in the second Chartreuse session, did they also have the 1972 VEP Jaune in the first?

The Ferrand / Plantation Chamber of Secrets and the Centrifuge session were the highlights for me. I thought the Johnnie + Soda Shoppe was my favorite pop-up, if only for the boozy ice cream floats in the New Orleans heat.

I was 1 for 3 getting into Latitude (Monday as well), checked out Cane and Table, made it out to Bacchanal when I had a bit of downtime on Friday (and promptly got boxed in by a freight train for 30 minutes when I was done); some quick lunches at the Alibi, Erin Rose / Killer Po-Boys, Johnny's and Arnaud's Remoulade sustained me between sessions on other days when my schedule was tight.

I saw johnder run by a couple times, and donbert co-hosted the centrifuge seminar, but had other responsibilities shortly thereafter; I didn't find a moment to say hi.

Sounds like we might have been following each other around a bit! I also did Alexandre's Chamber of Secrets on Saturday morning. My Chartreuse session was also the second one I think (on Friday) so not sure about bottles the first session had access to. After stumbling out of Latitude 29 at what seemed a rather early hour of 11 or so I also made my way down to Cane and Table for some additional fortification that night.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2