• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dry aging beef question.

Nut chef

hello all,i like to start to dry age beef in my kitchen,i have fair experience in making prochutto and salamis,for all i see online,they just place the beef on wire rack and let it dry,my question is- can you rub it with salt,just like prochutto,than after few days wipe the salt out  and let it dry,the salting,logically will inhibit bacteria growth and help in flavor development.anybody try it,or have opinion,thanks.

I think real dry aging is a very precise temp/humidity process.  Not sure if you are going to try it in a home or professional kitchen.  Here is a few easy things you can do to the steak to enhance that funky umami dry aging qualities.  Sorry if it is not what you are looking for or if it is too basic 

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-fake-dry-age-steak-article

No salt. You're not trying to cure it.

What Jayt90 said about a fridge and fan. Also a thermometer, a humidistat, and some way of controlling the humidity (not sure the best way to do so, but there's probably discussion somewhere online).

Fridge needs to be at least big enough for half a subprimal of whatever cuts you want to age. There's little point in trying to age individual cuts.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly