• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Synthetic low-calorie foods (i.e. replacing digestible carbohydrate with indigestible)

THX1138

I'm afraid that this is going to be an unpopular idea on this forum but it's the only place I've found discussion among people who appear to be food scientists as opposed to simply interested in cooking. For some time I've wondered why food scientists have not determined a way to prepare a zero-calorie black forest gateaux! Obviously this is an exaggerated idea but it occurs to me that there is likely to be a combination of compounds that would resemble the taste and texture of baked goods without conferring calories and without being toxic to the person or their intestinal flora or the environment.

I've heard of "tree flour" or very fine sawdust being used in bread in times of need and I'm also aware the various forms of processed cellulose originating from non-food plants (some kind of wood?) are already used in food products including coating cheese just so it doesn't stick together and in bread to reduce calorie content and increase fibre content (although there is some debate about the types of fibre and which are healthier). I found pharmaceutical grade "monocrystalline cellulose" for sale on eBay in the UK for £25 per 5 Kg including delivery but I'm aware there are a number of different types of cellulose used in food and some have potentially unwanted effects (laxatives). In any case I can't presently think of anything to do with it except cut it into my porridge!

There's no free lunch when it comes to indigestible foods. Anything we consume is going to be attempted to be digested by our digestive system.  That's what digestive systems do.  And when it fails to digest, there will always be repercussions.  If the quantity is minimal, then those repercussions might go unnoticed, but making entire dishes out of fiber isn't going to just be uncomfortable, it could very well be dangerous. We are not cows :)  There's a reason why we don't consume large amounts of fiber- and why our bodies are so noticeably unhappy with very high fiber food. The human digestive system just isn't made to handle it.

The idea that some types of fiber can be tolerated while some can't is garbage.  If you eat large amounts of anything that can't be digested, you will pay the price. Trust me, I've tried. It's possible that you might be able to develop a tolerance over time so that your body doesn't react so violently, but not with the quantities you're discussing.

• Like 2