• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sauce/additions for spiralized zucchini noodles

Paul Bacino

I like them a lot with basil pesto, as @Shelby suggested.

I also make a lemon-artichoke pesto (similar to this recipe) that I like with zucchini noodles - this looks especially nice with a mix of yellow and green zukes.

Also good tossed with a few spoonfuls of tapenade and a sprinkle of feta. 

And finally, they are very nice with @ElainaA's Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce

• Like 4

bringing down the level - stepmom makes them with loads of garlic and some cream of mushroom soup. I like them with green onions, garlic, peanut butter, roasted peanuts, ginger & tamarind - soft cooked egg smushed in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

bringing down the level - stepmom makes them with loads of garlic and some cream of mushroom soup. I like them with green onions, garlic, peanut butter, roasted peanuts, ginger & tamarind - soft cooked egg smushed in

Whoa!!  A Monty Python Moment

That is  " and now for something completely different " 

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Whoa!!  A Monty Python Moment

That is  " and now for something completely different " 

I reiterate that remark.  Sounds so very interesting.  Can we have some details about proportions @heidih?

• Like 1

I just used my Cuisinart spiralizer for the first time two days ago.  After I mutilated a zucchini, I finally got out the instruction book and got zoodles.  I was too verklempt to do anything but sauté them with onions, but now that I think I can make zoodles, more fun is on the way.  The zucchini ribbons were easier.

• Like 2

Finished dish:

Garlic Onion,Pepper flakes Zoodles, deglaze with Champagne vinegar--S and P tt

Add Parm and torn Basil

Wifee loved it

35865335146_c24228910f_o.thumb.jpg.060a7fa9c67cfdf79991bec980a6bc68.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino
picture added (log)
  • Like 8

Its good to have Morels

I'm still having trouble cooking my zoodles and getting something that isn't mush. How are you all cooking yours, so they actually hold up to any sauce at all?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I just put them in a pan with the aromatics on a medium flame and as  they soften a bit from the moisture release I add in my other ingredients. A pretty quick treatment. Have not had a mush issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

I'm still having trouble cooking my zoodles and getting something that isn't mush. How are you all cooking yours, so they actually hold up to any sauce at all?

I don't cook mine at all.  I put them in a strainer, salt them and let them sit in the sink for about an hour.  Then I squeeze out the excess "water" and toss them in my heated sauce.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Hear is what I think Ill try do next time:

Cook garlic and onion

remove and get pan smoking hot.. add a touch of Ghee  quickly add zoodles

I would like to get some caramalization    on my next batch if possible

add back in aromatics

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Carbonara works really well - cook some lardons till very crisp, remove them leaving the bacon fat behind, use this to cook the noodles. Stir the lardons and a handful of Parmesan into a beaten egg then mix this with the cooked zucchini. Chopped parsley and some chilli flakes if you fancy it. 

• Like 2

I saw two recipes in the most recent Southern Living Magazine that might be a good way to use up zucchini, zoodles or otherwise. I have not made either recipe but they sound easy to make:

"Cornbread Panzanella with Squash Recipe"

This calls for dicing the zucchini, but I don't see why you couldn't use zoodles. And I would toss in some diced/sliced fresh tomatoes (homegrown if you got them) because it's summer...that's why.;)

"Chicken Caprese Pasta Recipe"

While the recipes calls for pasta, I think you could easily substitute zoodles.

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ina Garten's "Zucchini & Goat Cheese Tart"

I don't think I'd have the patience to line up all the circles of zucchini slices like in the picture on the web site.

If they were already pre-sliced for freezing (like @Shelby did) you'd have them on hand, ready for use.

And then I thought "Why not use zoodles?" It'd look quite "bohemian", so to speak, but would eat the same, wouldn't it? 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this Zucchini run is coming to a close      :)

Zoodles in Sunday Gravy w/ Salsiccia

Zoodles cooking in Garlic/Onion/Italian seasoning/ Champagne vinegar  /  Parmesan cheese

35488244034_f2632744a4_o.thumb.jpg.a8c7a5e46ca8be0edd41b299aad82b17.jpg

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels