• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hawaiian buns

lindag

I'm a total sucker for any kind of bread but I've never tried these.  Mostly because of the sweetened dough.

But I saw packages in my grocers recently that were smaller (a dozen is just too much for me) and I was/am tempted.

So are they worth taking home or are they just meh?

Here we get King's Hawaiian bread in various forms. Very yellow, soft and slightly sweet. The kids used to like the slider type ones for salty savory pickly sandwiches - a nice range of tastes. I lightly toasted them.  They have a huge manufacturing and restaurant business locally in Torrance. 

Edited by heidih (log)

I like the King's Hawaiian buns for smoked pork. At least, I think I do. I haven't had them in a very long time so it may just be one of those things that I remember being better than it actually was. They're not available where I live now. I've tried a few copycat recipes to make my own but they never really turn out like I remember the King's tasting so it's entirely possible the memory is faulty. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you like brioche style buns, you should try them.  They're even sweeter, dissolve faster on the tongue, and can compress to nothingness.  On the Glycemic Index, they're right between fructose and sucrose (JK!).

They're sort of the Wonderbread of brioche, but like that "bread", can be addictive.

• Like 1