• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Toliver

Costco (Food) to Go

I couldn't find a discussion about the Costco food courts so I thought I would start one.

The Costco "food court" is the counter where you can buy their hot dogs & soda, pizza by the slice, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, etc. Sometimes the food court is inside the Costco (like here in Bakersfield, CA) and sometimes it's outside (like with the Santee, CA, Costco).

Here's an article on a new Costco food court item that is being tested and is quickly becoming popular:

"People are driving far and wide to try the new Costco food court cheeseburger"

Foodbeast broke the story about Costco’s new 1/3 pound burger, which costs $4.99 and adds up to 1,140 calories.
The cheeseburger features coarsely ground beef, cheddar cheese, and smoked Thousand Island dressing, served on a challah bun.

The smoked Thousand Island Dressing intrigues me. It makes me wonder which ingredient in the dressing carries the smoke, or if they just add liquid smoke to it.

Has anyone is the testing areas tried this new cheeseburger? 

I'm a huge fan of their BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich (big enough for two people to share).

My mom always stops by for their hot dog with sauerkraut (when she remembers to take the sauerkraut! She keeps forgetting it when she places it on the counter while she pours her soda to go. "Next time, put it in your cart, Ma, so you won't forget it!). xD 

Any other Costco food court favorites out there?

• Like 1

Poutine!

Not the best poutine out there, of course, and a bit on the overly salty side - but still, hooray for cheap Costco poutine!

(Most people here are probably familiar with poutine, but if one has never had it - it's a Quebecois-Canadian dish of french fries topped with brown gravy and cheese curds.)

• Like 4

Where I need an infusion of protein I go for the chicken bake.

• Like 1

I like the berry smoothie, it's reasonably priced and not too big. Summers are really hot here and this is a convenient way to not get too overheated and dehydrated. (plus, it probably has vitamins and fiber)

• Like 3

Someone posted in another Costco discussion that their Costco stopped selling polish dogs-to-go.

It looks like more Costco's are following suit:

"Costco food court takes polish dogs off the menu"

At many Costco stores around Seattle, Washington and beyond, the Polish hotdog is being removed from the menu, and healthier options are being added.

The popular item is part of an inexpensive meal combo (it's a $1.50 for a Polish dog and soda). The Seattle Times reports the original all-beef hotdog will still be available.

Note that the Costco's may still sell the polish dogs in the refrigerated section...they just won't be selling them ready-to-go.

Another article mentions some new to-go items:

"Costco makes food court changes: Say goodbye to the polish dog, hello to healthy options"

Costco has also introduced an al pastor salad at many locations - also vegetarian. The $4.99 salad is made of plant-based protein (soy), romaine lettuce, black beans, banh mi vegetables and dressing.

Plant-based protein? My, doesn't that sound yummy?  ¬¬ 

Don't even get me started on the Acai bowl. ¬¬

Like I go to the Costco food court to buy food that's healthy for me. >:( Idiots! :laugh:

• Like 1

One thing about Canada, change happens v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y at the Costcos here.  I have been a member for maybe 8 years and have seen 2 changes, that I can recall.  They dropped a very good salad with cranberries and to make room for a disgusting chicken caesar one and added a turkey provolone sandwich which isn't half bad.  I can't remember what it replaced.  Other than the salad and sandwich, there is the hot dog,  chicken wings and pizza.  I try to avoid the place except for the 25 cents bottles of water.

• Like 1

What I have noticed is that they are taking away low price-point choices and replacing them with pricier items. I tend to want more snack food choices and less mealtime choices.

A vegetarian al pastor salad? Really.

• Like 1

I love that hot dog.  What a dumb idea.  Like Chik-fil-A deciding to replace their delicious slaw (oddly it is hard to find good slaw either in a store of restaurant) with the so-called "Superfood Side salad".  No thank you - when I am eating fried chicken sandwiches, I want SLAW.

• Like 2