• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

Sorry for the double post but it's sort of relevant...

"Amazon will allow US Prime members to send gifts using only an email or phone number"

In preparation for the holiday shopping season, Amazon today announced a convenient new way to send gifts through its mobile app. Instead of entering the recipient’s mailing address — a piece of information people often don’t know in today’s age of digital communications — Prime members can now send a gift to a friend via their phone number or email address.

And I thought this was interesting:

...They also have the option of exchanging the item in question for an Amazon gift card of the same amount — something that’s possible because the gift-giver selected the “add a gift receipt” option at checkout. This exchange can be done without notifying the gift-giver, of course, just as in real life. And because Amazon showed the recipient what was purchased, they can still say thank you for the specific gift that had been picked out.

So if you're gifted that ugly seasonal sweater from Amazon, you can switch it out for something else and the original gifter won't be the wiser and everyone is happy.xD

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Sorry for the double post but it's sort of relevant...

"Amazon will allow US Prime members to send gifts using only an email or phone number"

And I thought this was interesting:

So if you're gifted that ugly seasonal sweater from Amazon, you can switch it out for something else and the original gifter won't be the wiser and everyone is happy.xD

Sorry, but your link wording confused me. You will still be able to send that lovely (hideous) sweater to cousin Jimmy at his home address, but, you will have the option of using his email or mobile phone number. 

Edited by DesertTinker
Clarity (log)

I assume for the email/phone# option that person has to be registered on Amazon otherwise that opens a big question of what databases does Amazon have access to and should they???

Conspiracy theorists sign-up here!

p

I had a credit from an earlier return, plus a small gift balance and used it for a backup microwave when one appeared on my "upcoming bargains" list at 3 a.m. Pacific time.  Was extra large (2.2 cf) and 1250 watts at a fraction of the regular price.  Panasonic NN SD975S  for $99.99 ($288.37).  

The tax was more than my out of pocket cash.

It's still in the box, unopened because my present one is still working though there is no light inside.

And I need to get help to get the old one out and the new one out of the box and onto the MW counter because it is too heavy for me to lift at 37 pounds.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

I had a credit from an earlier return, plus a small gift balance and used it for a backup microwave when one appeared on my "upcoming bargains" list at 3 a.m. Pacific time.  Was extra large (2.2 cf) and 1250 watts at a fraction of the regular price.  Panasonic NN SD975S  for $99.99 ($288.37).  

It's still in the box, unopened because my present one is still working though there is no light inside.

And I need to get help to get the old one out and the new one out of the box and onto the MW counter because it is too heavy for me to lift at 37 pounds.

With all the wonderful food gifting you do - there will be a line to help ;)

• Like 3

@Andi - that's a huge oven!!! and 1250 watts to boot! - I'd hire someone just to get that one in my kitchen 😇

It's a little distant to expect me to be knocking on your backdoor

p

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I hadn't been seeing posts from you in a while; I'm glad you're still in touch.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I hadn't been seeing posts from you in a while; I'm glad you're still in touch.

Since late May, we had unrelenting high temps - several times more than a week with 100+ temps - and no real breaks below that, so I haven't felt much like cooking or baking.  My health has been just so-so, no real illness, just at 82 with cardiac and kidney failure, I don't have the energy I used to have.

I do drop in from time to time to read posts but haven't had much to report.

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just now, andiesenji said:

Since late May, we had unrelenting high temps - several times more than a week with 100+ temps - and no real breaks below that, so I haven't felt much like cooking or baking.  My health has been just so-so, no real illness, just at 82 with cardiac and kidney failure, I don't have the energy I used to have.

Glad to see you, too.  (((hugs)))

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

Missed you. Happy to hear from you!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Sorry, but your link wording confused me. You will still be able to send that lovely (hideous) sweater to cousin Jimmy at his home address, but, you will have the option of using his email or mobile phone number. 

The link wording wasn't mine. It was the title of the article provided by that web site's editor and/or reporter.

The gist of it means that the recipient of your electronic gift will be notified via either their email address or, likely, a text sent to their mobile phone number. All this means is If the gift giver doesn't have the recipient's home address, there's an alternative way of sending someone a gift from Amazon.
Then when the recipient (who got the email or text) goes to Amazon to receive the gift, Amazon will let them decide whether to accept the original gift as-is, or they can opt to not receive that gift but receive an equitable gift card amount from Amazon. 

The original gift-sender won't know that the recipient decided not to receive their gift and get the Amazon gift card instead. The original sender will just be notified by Amazon that the recipient said something generic like "Thanks for the gift"...not knowing an exchange happened.

Supposedly, this will make everyone happy.

Edited by Toliver
Clarification (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

42 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Then when the recipient (who got the email or text) goes to Amazon to receive the gift, Amazon will let them decide whether to accept the original gift as-is, or they can opt to not receive that gift but receive an equitable gift card amount from Amazon. 

The original gift-sender won't know that the recipient decided not to receive their gift and get the Amazon gift card instead. The original sender will just be notified by Amazon that the recipient said something generic like "Thanks for the gift"...not knowing an exchange happened.

I like it.  I've got friends and relatives who move a lot and some who don't check their mail with any regularity.  I'd be happy to write a gift note on the Amazon order that says something like, "Six Seasons is one of my favorite cookbooks and I think you'd love it, too, but please feel free to make another choice if you'd prefer something different."  Probably saves Amazon on returns, too.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

The link wording wasn't mine. It was the title of the article provided by that web site's editor and/or reporter.

The gist of it means that the recipient of your electronic gift will be notified via either their email address or, likely, a text sent to their mobile phone number. All this means is If the gift giver doesn't have the recipient's home address, there's an alternative way of sending someone a gift from Amazon.

Ahh conspiracy theory debunked!

Don't you wish they all were that easy 😈

p

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

I should have said “the link wording”, thus, not implicating you at all.😊

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Added several jars of Tonnino Tuna to my Prime Day purchases.

I didn't think about that! I have pasta bowls on order, because most of mine (from Pier One) have broken. Maybe I'll go add Tonino tuna to the order.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I didn't think about that! I have pasta bowls on order, because most of mine (from Pier One) have broken. Maybe I'll go add Tonino tuna to the order.

Bunch of different flavors.  It's the best price I've seen in a long, long time on Tonnino jarred. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Pack of 6, (buy once, cry once.)

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dammit, I'm in on the ventresca...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

11 hours ago, cdh said:

Haven't tried the Tonnino... am remedying that now.  A six-pack of their ventresca is on the way. 

I found some in the discount cart at my supermarket one day, marked down to half price. I bought two each of the fillets in olive oil and ventresca in olive oil, and regretted not buying more.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning