• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

Now Food52 I think prompted me to the seasoned Lodge 10" cast iron for $15. All my lovely vintage Griswolds are buried so deep in storage I'll never see them until that is emptied.  Maybe maybe. Good size for a singleton.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Now Food52 I think prompted me to the seasoned Lodge 10" cast iron for $15. All my lovely vintage Griswolds are buried so deep in storage I'll never see them until that is emptied.  Maybe maybe. Good size for a singleton.

that’s pretty spectacular value - one of those would set me back the equivalent of about $75 here in the uk 

53 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

The classic Vitamix is on sale for $278.99. (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H4SLV6/

That's a pretty good deal - if I only didn't have a Blendtec, I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

ARRRGH.  I had just talked myself off of this.

If you haven't pulled the trigger ye, you're safe! The price is now up to $487.43.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Haven't  bought a thing. Just paid to have the a/c fixed, so disposable cash is in shorter supply, and there was nothing I really needed. Noticed there seem to be several makers of steam/convection ovens now, just in browsing.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Got an SD Card for my Fire Tablet to back up the excess  9_9 cookbooks I have downloaded into it. Price was 25% off.

CamelCamelCamel has been invaluable to me. I look something over on Amazon and then check the price history on Camel only to see the posted "sale" price isn't the best price. Saved me money a number of times...

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I bought 1.1 kg of Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds for $1.38.

The sad part, having nothing to do with Prime Day or food, I ordered a limited edition Roy Andersson blu-ray collection from amazon UK.  But I got free shipping!  And then King Arthur Flour Baking offered me 10 percent off their stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

from amazon UK.  But I got free shipping! 

I've noticed this recently.  I ordered some of my beloved Gardena brand yard equipment from Amazon, and I got free Prime shipping from Amazon Germany!  At a cheaper cost than the equipment in the Amazon US.  Something must have changed recently for Amazon Global ordering.   So if you've ever wanted stuff from Amazon EU but were put off on the shipping price, look again.  It may now have free Prime shipping.

• Like 4

On 6/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, heidih said:

Just showed up. It is lovely. Oddly the toaster oven I ordered first has arrival "by 10pm today". As much as I complain about backup beepers they do let you know a truck has arrived and turning around in driveway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Amazon where you are sells alcohol?

Amazon Germany sells alcohol - and on Prime day at interesting prices (at least for some that I was interested in) …

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Amazon Germany sells alcohol - and on Prime day at interesting prices (at least for some that I was interested in) …

Amazon once tried selling wine here but they soon dropped the idea.  Possibly because each state in the US has their own constitutionally enshrined alcohol regulations.

• Like 1

In Canada we saved a bunch of money, because Amazon didn't have "Prime Day" due to a number of fulfillment centres closing due to Covid 19 outbreaks.

p

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I had to send back 2 of the Prime Day purchases for a strange reason, the product description was wrong.  ! ordered a hose fitting that was described and pictured as metal even on the package, but when it came it was plastic.   The other was a mug that said it was silicone (I bought it for camping/roadtrips) and when it arrived it was ceramic.  It was a nice mug, but wrong material.

Hopefully 2 of these issues does not make a trend.  I will say the new "drop off at Whole Foods" Amazon returns is painless and easy.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

@lemniscate 

Indeed.

but then you have to go to WF.

I won't say WF is a BlackHole , draining your financial accounts.

but it certainly is The Event Horizon .

https://www.space.com/black-holes-event-horizon-explained.html  

Amazon personally sends UPS

to my door to pick up their stuff.

probably  because Im Special

and currently pretty hot.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Whole Foods has a beer bar.  I take returns to Whole Foods, I then have a great beer.  There is no downside.  UPS does not provide this service to me as of yet.

Seriously, for a UPS pickup, call amazon and ask.  For some returns I see UPS pickup as an option on the return screen.  Here they do not offer UPS pickup for lightweight or inexpensive items.  My favorite return method (at least for something I can carry) is UPS Store dropoff.  There is no need to pack the item or to prepare a packing slip.  Amazon issues a refund immediately.  Granted the local UPS Store does not offer a beer bar.  Although it is conveniently located a few doors down from my friendly wine and spirits monger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

From CNN:

"Amazon is starting Black Friday deals early. Like, now"

Black Friday isn't for another 53 days. For Amazon, however, it starts today.
Amazon has begun rolling out "Black Friday-worthy deals" to jumpstart the holiday shopping season that's expected to be chaotic because of shipping and supply chain issues. Amazon announced Monday "deep discounts across every category" including fashion, home goods, toys and electronics that will be available on a special webpage.

There is more info in the rest of the article.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver