• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

Talk about Kohl in the stocking...

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I complained about this yet...

Due to COVID, my company closed our lobby and the receptionist is taking calls working from home...and has been since March.

I used to order a lot of stuff from Amazon and had it sent to my workplace which was so convenient. The mail delivery and UPS delivery for my home is terrible which is why I sent Amazon stuff to my workplace.

Once our lobby was shut down I knew Amazon had lockers and thought I could ship my Amazon stuff to a local locker.

The big problem is that the Amazon lockers here in town are inside of local Rite Aid stores which means I can only pick up my Amazon order when the Rite Aid is open.

The other MAJOR problem is that I used to order medical products (Tylenol, etc) from Amazon. Now when I order it from Amazon, I get an error message stating that Rite Aid won't let medical supplies (or anything else they sell) be shipped from Amazon to their lockers inside Rite Aid.

WTF? Amazon is letting Rite Aid tell me what I can or cannot order from Amazon?

Now normally, I would understand...Rite Aid doesn't want the competition from Amazon. HOWEVER, like Walmart, Rite Aid doesn't keep their shelves stocked. I would go in to Rite Aid looking for Tylenol only to find it sold out and only Rite Aid's generic pain reliever brand was being stocked.

I am royally ticked off at this and my orders from Amazon have all but stopped because of this.

I wonder if Amazon has even noticed how this situation is impacting their bottom line...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Due to COVID, my company closed our lobby and the receptionist is taking calls working from home...and has been since March.

I used to order a lot of stuff from Amazon and had it sent to my workplace which was so convenient. The mail delivery and UPS delivery for my home is terrible which is why I sent Amazon stuff to my workplace.

Once our lobby was shut down I knew Amazon had lockers and thought I could ship my Amazon stuff to a local locker.

The big problem is that the Amazon lockers here in town are inside of local Rite Aid stores which means I can only pick up my Amazon order when the Rite Aid is open.

The other MAJOR problem is that I used to order medical products (Tylenol, etc) from Amazon. Now when I order it from Amazon, I get an error message stating that Rite Aid won't let medical supplies (or anything else they sell) be shipped from Amazon to their lockers inside Rite Aid.

Now normally, I would understand...Rite Aid doesn't want the competition from Amazon. HOWEVER, like Walmart, Rite Aid doesn't keep their shelves stocked. I would go in to Rite Aid looking for Tylenol only to find it sold out and only Rite Aid's generic pain reliever brand was being stocked.

I am royally ticked off at this and my orders from Amazon have all but stopped because of this.

I wonder if Amazon has even noticed how this situation is impacting their bottom line...

You should be able to get your amazon packages delivered to Whole Foods.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You should be able to get your amazon packages delivered to Whole Foods.

- sigh - 

There is a Whole Paycheck over on the opposite side of town. Convenience will get thrown out the window if I send packages to that store but I guess it's doable. Thanks.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

- sigh - 

There is a Whole Paycheck over on the opposite side of town. Convenience will get thrown out the window if I send packages to that store but I guess it's doable. Thanks.

While you're there Jeff hopes you will pick up some stuff for dinner.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 11/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, Toliver said:

There are Amazon lockers at some 7-11 and Circle K's and Carl's Jr's.   Maybe you have one of those locations closer to you.

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

There are Amazon lockers at some 7-11 and Circle K's and Carl's Jr's.   Maybe you have one of those locations closer to you.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

and some gas stations

might there be a Web look-up

based on an address ?

The Rite Aid in question is a stone's throw from my residence, which is why other options weren't considered. But looking for another answer is what I will have to do.

Regarding other lockers, I'd seen outdoor lockers at a 7-Eleven in San Diego while visiting family. That would have been ideal. There is a 7-Eleven that has lockers here but it's on the other side of town where Whole Foods is located. It could be an option since it doesn't involve having to go inside a store to retrieve packages. It's just a "slog" to get there.

The fact that I can't order what I want to order from Amazon is what was ticking me off. And that Amazon is buckling to Rite Aid's list of verboten items is ridiculous and surprising.

• Sad 3

Tim Oliver

So based on this discussion I must be thankful that they drop at my door (up a narrow long driveway). Falastin today by 9pm. That will irritate the night critters. 

• Like 1

for completeness sake only :

JB dumped 3 billion USD Amazon stock , 'recently'

JB's WF aside :

is he thinking his RocketShip

vs ElonM's RocketShip

[ed.: each going to NoWhere ]

is going to have FirstClass ?

leftover WF Asparagus water ?

too bad the Boys can't grow up.

one RocketShip to NoWhere 

is all we don't need.

cheers

• Like 2

This was posted on the Mashable web site: A one-day sale on Amazon for the Ultra 10-in-1 Instant Pot.

The 6 qt. is about $50US off (click) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The 8 qt. is just a wee little more expensive (click) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Goodbye to the evil overlords of Rite Aid!

My boss told me the Chevron Mini Mart down the street just put in Amazon Hub lockers. The even better news is that they are outside of the mini mart and can be accessed 24/7.

See ya, Rite Aid!

Spartacus! Spartacus! Spartacus! xD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Until 6/20, if you spend $10 buying from a "small business" on Amazon, you will get a $10 credit to spend on Prime Day. I got an email as a Prime member, but if you click on the Prime Day banner on the home page you'll see the promo.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Guess I'm first to log the Prime Day loot.   OEM Instant Pot gaskets, a pair for under $8.  A bunch of neodymium magnet hooks for hanging stuff around.  Some Viancin silicone covers.  Silipint silicone bowls.

Lots of stuff in Amazon Warehouse is Prime Day 25% off the already warehouse prices.  A lot of my purchases were from those deals.

Seems like there's pretty good deals in the Grocery and Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods departments too.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

A bunch of neodymium magnet hooks for hanging stuff around.

Just be aware of safety concerns around neodymium magnets - not your regular magnets.

p

Been without toaster oven for over a month. Use it alot. Black and Decker, decent price and used Amex points so - kinda freeee. I use it in garage esp when heat starts, The ground squirrel using my garage will be enticed by the smells. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2