• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

A portable 12Vdc fridge freezer for roadtrips/extra freezer space.   Had my eye on one with the SECOP compressor, which is supposed to be a higher quality than others.   The brand I purchased is ICECO.   I have a Whynter version that is over 5 years old that holds, ice, vodka, and overflow from the standup fridge freezer.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

Instant pot 3 qt Ultra  on sale :

Instant Pot Ultra 3 Qt (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

got it along w 3 qt basket and 3 replacement gasket rings.

Me too. Though I didn't get the basket and rings. Probably should've.

ETA: went back and got the rings and basket. Thanks for the reminder, @rotuts.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That really is a good price, @rotuts, and I find myself sorely tempted. I've written before that I think the Ultra is superior to the Duo. As it happens I have a 3-quart Duo in our trailer, our home-away-from-home. I'm tempted to replace it with the Ultra. I'm thinking about it. The reason I hesitate is that the existing IP doesn't get much use when we're off-grid, and that's more of our travel time every year. Hmm.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Jessica wanted an Air Fryer.  Compared prices at Amazon, Walmart, and Kohls.  With a 20% coupon, Kohl's was cheaper than either of the others - even with having to pay shipping.  Then I realized I had a credit balance at Kohl's.  I paid $14 for the air fryer.  😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The IP is $140 on amazon.ca.

Did you look under "Lightning Deals" or "Prime Day Deals" up at the top in the black banner? I keep seeing the IP's floating in there.

I got a silicone spatula set (4 spatulas) for something like $11. It included a skinny jar scraper spatula which is what I actually wanted...the other three spatulas in the set are just the icing on the proverbial cake. :)

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

the iPot 3 qt is no longer a deal.

interesting how many iPot clones there are these days

wonder if their patents have expired.

many clones almost look identical.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

the iPot 3 qt is no longer a deal.

Yes, I noticed that at some time yesterday the 3 Qt IP Ultra went from $49.99 to "available from these other sources". Must have been one heck of a sale!

As for the clones, that's a good question.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

None of the deals I saw appealed.  However I purchased a USA Pan bread/meatloaf pan (now that I have an APO) to use my $10 Whole Foods Prime Day credit.  In looking at my invoice it does not appear the credit was applied.  Not a happy camper.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

Yes, I noticed that at some time yesterday the 3 Qt IP Ultra went from $49.99 to "available from these other sources". Must have been one heck of a sale!

As for the clones, that's a good question.

My 3-qt Ultra came in today. I expect it's probably going to become the workhorse Instant Pot 'round here. Can an APO be far behind???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 minutes ago, kayb said:

My 3-qt Ultra came in today. I expect it's probably going to become the workhorse Instant Pot 'round here. Can an APO be far behind???

I like my 3 quart!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, rotuts said:

They never had any (functional) patents — they didn't invent anything. There were a couple of other electric pressure cookers on the market before them (Fagor had one) and I recall reading that they started out working with an existing manufacturer of them.

Their brilliant move was customizing the interface so it made sense to people who didn't know pressure cookers, and really good word-of-mouth marketing.

• Like 1

I would have thought that their interface

ie what you see , and the buttons you push

would have been their intellectual property.

several of the ' clones '  seem to have a very very similar interface.

annyway the folks at iPot revolutionize pressure cooking in a very intuitive way.

and a very easy to use interface and total system.

good for them.

Im sure they had their financial  rewards 

which they deserve .

the WSJ a few days ago had an analysis of Prime Day :

w/o going into the details 

and there are several layers of JB:Amazon on its business model 

this year is was not at ' Spectacular ' as previous years

in an economic sense for AMZN etc.

quite some time ago

a WSJ article broke down ' Prime ' costs re :

average single purchase , cost of shipping that purchase etc

the margins on this were very very thin , and a bit negative indeed

anyway , PrimeDay this year was not an economic blockbuster

for AMZN  , as before.

AMZN is not hurting in the ways so many other business's are

it gets its Prime Fees , it gets its ' partners ' %  etc.

the WSJ , in terms of Bizz  economics 

Black Friday is still out there   etc

I am please I got 2 3 qt iPots

one for me and one for elsewhere.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had decided that a 3 qt Ultra Instant Pot would be better for the trailer than the 3 qt Duo in there now.

Behold, they'd sold out at that price! So I settled for a handheld carpet cleaning gizmo. Nothing else spoke to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I usually buy something but not this year not a single thing "spoke" to me.

My older brother is new to Amazon, if you can believe it (plus he and his wife are Prime members). He told me he was upset because nothing "spoke" to him during the Prime Day sale. He said he didn't want any of the Amazon electronic devices which were featured, of course, and marked down.

I told him he should be happy he didn't spend a penny. I told him to make use of his Wishlist and put things on it that he might like. Then, wait for Black Friday or the holiday sales beyond and check to see if any item he wanted was on sale. That made a lot of sense to him so he's biding his time. I will be interested to see what he ends up with (if anything) at Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That Air Fryer I got at Kohl's for Jessica's Xmas gift?  This is how I found it on our porch:

IMG_3780.jpg.7c1ec0d6f255477ad3bcbb214f7e5298.jpg

Opening the box:

IMG_3834.jpg.27ff138b208a268dd4197bec195d7418.jpg

That's how it came - no padding, no paper.  

The actual box:

IMG_3814.jpg.763d50aa835505a19efbe748f3d473e1.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg.ce9afda7890a812018f3fa3deeb5893f.jpg

So we just went up to Kohl's to return it and purchased one that they had in stock to replace.  This is the last thing I buy at Kohl's for a while.  As much as possible, we are not shopping IN stores.  The last thing I ordered from Kohl's was an IP for Mr. Kim's mother's BD.  It came with a giant dent in the side.  So, no more online shopping from there and since we aren't store shopping, no Kohl's for us.  Wish now I'd bought on Prime Day - our Amazon stuff usually comes very well packed.  But this was SUCH a good deal! 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4