• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Prime Day - your loot ?

rotuts

A lot of former hotel housekeepers, fast-food burger flippers and suchlike are gaining experience in fulfillment and distribution centers right now.

It's no secret that e-commerce has slowly been eating into traditional retail's market share, and this crisis will likely result in a lasting "bump" for online vendors. Earlier today I was writing about that for one of my freelance clients, a third-party logistics company. One of the points I made was that as normalcy returns (whatever that looks like post-virus) there'll be an opportunity to snap up some of the short-term workers who have "made their bones" working in warehouses for Amazon, Instacart, Walmart and the like.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thousands of products are out of stock or the price has been jacked up by third party sellers.

Amazon Pantry was over-rated before this crisis, unless one is a carbohydrate addict.

I had trouble putting together a $35 order before things went to hell!

The only Prime things I've ordered recently are avocado oil and some nutritional supplements.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Amazon has already said they will currently only fill "essential" orders and the rest can wait. I've stopped all my orders until saner times.

I do feel for you but I have to say that Amazon came through for me with a piece of essential medical equipment. I ordered it one day and they promised delivery the next day but managed to get it to me the same day that I placed the order. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen anything about Prime Day this year. Under the current circumstances I'd be more surprised if it happened than if it didn't. Still, I'm curious as to whether Amazon has addressed the question either way. Has anyone seen an announcement?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I haven't seen anything about Prime Day this year. Under the current circumstances I'd be more surprised if it happened than if it didn't. Still, I'm curious as to whether Amazon has addressed the question either way. Has anyone seen an announcement?

I haven't seen anything.

• Like 1

Last I read it's going to be moved to October...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

1 hour ago, Joe Blowe said:

Last I read it's going to be moved to October...

Heard the same thing. Probably due to the pandemic.

They just had a "fashion sale" over a couple of days...perhaps to appease those looking for the Amazon Days and not finding it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I wonder if Amazon knows yet when it will be! 😄

When is Prime Day 2020?

Once expected to run from July 15 through July 16, Amazon Prime Day 2020 won’t arrive until at least August due to COVID-19, according to internal meeting notes obtained by Reuters, with The Wall Street Journal reporting that the event will take place in September and Business Insider claiming that it could happen as late as October — a month before Black Friday.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/best-amazon-prime-day-deals-012317422.html

Edited by FauxPas
formatting (log)

• 2 months later...

There's no official word from Amazon but media leaks are suggesting that Prime Day will be October 13th this year.

• Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

Bezos must be feeling some heat from Target

where I now get a lot of y stuff.   no membership fee

5 % off w their Red Card   

( i know Bezos has tried his  hand at an Amazon Card w 5 % back on Amazon purchases )

so i got a free 30 day trial a few says ago

now I went to reconnoiter , and he wanted to extend my free membership 

another 30 days !

so Im covered for A.P.D.

and no , I wont keep the membership.

no way will I pay twice for stuff i dont really need.

MC has plenty of boxes .

although the Amazon boxes are sl better than Targets

only a littler .  Walmart boxes are an embarrassment .  MC has never chosen to

explore any of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nothing special I need this year, but if they put the Anova Precision Oven on a special, I'd likely get one. Otherwise, it'll be American Girl doll stuff for the granddaughter, Legos and baseball-related stuff for one grandson, and Cars paraphernalia for the other one.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

in thinking a little more about my first ' Free ' month , and a 30 day extension

also free 

Bezos must be trying to get a record for Prime Day

as the stock is a bit depressed these days

he's looking for a massive Prime Day , thus a boost on the AMZN

stock price :

AMZ.thumb.jpg.105c045064dbfc5df831b1c4ef93cf8e.jpg

so if you dont have prime , go to AMZN and see if you get a free offer

for month or two , so you can be taken advantage of for Prime Day !

[ed.:  Full Disclosure :  the poster has a few shares of AMZN , and is also interested in a stock boost

but will not be selling any of the few positions anytime soon.  In the Bizz  this is called " Window

Dressing "   traditionally done by companies near the end of the year to boost the stock price for that year . ]

• Like 1

My Bud Bezos   ( speed dial # 2 )

[ed.: rotuts has Shares ]

insisted on giving me a $ 10 credit for Prime Day

maybe even before , syntax was problematic 

now , everyone , call him and insist on a deep discount on the 3 Qt iPot.

cheers

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2

"You Don't Have To Wait For Prime Day To Fill Your Cart With On-Sale Amazon Kitchen Appliances"

Ahead of Prime Day, Amazon has all sorts of amazing deals that are being offered right now. We dug around and found some mega sales (we're talking crazy low prices, people!) on our favorite kitchen and home appliances. We'll continue to update these as we approach Prime Day.

There are links in the article to various kitchen items and cleaning items already discounted on Amazon ahead of Prime Day.

• Thanks 2

Tim Oliver

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

no movement on the iPots that I can see.

yes , they say ' so much off '  but that's their standard price 

as far as I can tell .

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

will tell you the price history of an item.   Because of the way amazon does short sales and garage sale day, their data may not reflect the current price, but it will still tell you if what you're seeing is a decent buy or not.  There are lots of fake deals on garage sale day, black friday, etc. 

(The TV I bought a couple years ago was 100 more expensive as a prime day deal than it was when I bought it the month before.  It was also advertised as a black friday deal, again for more than it had sold for regularly.)

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 10:01 AM, dscheidt said:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

will tell you the price history of an item.   Because of the way amazon does short sales and garage sale day, their data may not reflect the current price, but it will still tell you if what you're seeing is a decent buy or not.  There are lots of fake deals on garage sale day, black friday, etc. 

(The TV I bought a couple years ago was 100 more expensive as a prime day deal than it was when I bought it the month before.  It was also advertised as a black friday deal, again for more than it had sold for regularly.)

I concur with the recommendation of CamelCamelCamel. I thought the price history it shows was very useful. Sadly, it showed me that the Instant Pot I wanted to buy as a gift never went back down to the lower Black Friday pricing. But I chalk that up to my idiot brother not mentioning until AFTER Black Friday that he wanted an Instant Pot for Christmas. Grrrr....>:(

Someone mentioned the 3 Qt. Instant Pots earlier/recently in this discussion...The link I previously posted didn't seem to show many 3 Qt. Instant Pots on sale. However, recent articles on upcoming Prime Day sales that I've been reading are starting to mention them more (meaning they may go on sale the closer we get to Prime Day). So don't give up hope! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I concur with the recommendation of CamelCamelCamel. I thought the price history it shows was very useful. Sadly, it showed me that the Instant Pot I wanted to buy as a gift never went back down to the lower Black Friday pricing. But I chalk that up to my idiot brother not mentioning until AFTER Black Friday that he wanted an Instant Pot for Christmas. Grrrr....>:(

Someone mentioned the 3 Qt. Instant Pots earlier/recently in this discussion...The link I previously posted didn't seem to show many 3 Qt. Instant Pots on sale. However, recent articles on upcoming Prime Day sales that I've been reading are starting to mention them more (meaning they may go on sale the closer we get to Prime Day). So don't give up hope! 

I use the 3 quart more than I do the 6 quart, but then I'm only cooking for 2 people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, ElsieD said:

I use the 3 quart more than I do the 6 quart, but then I'm only cooking for 2 people.

I have given away my 6 quart to someone who needed it more than I. I use the 3 quart for most everything except when I need to caramelize white chocolate - then I use the big one. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, Toliver said:

Someone mentioned the 3 Qt. Instant Pots earlier/recently in this discussion...The link I previously posted didn't seem to show many 3 Qt. Instant Pots on sale. However, recent articles on upcoming Prime Day sales that I've been reading are starting to mention them more (meaning they may go on sale the closer we get to Prime Day). SIs o don't give up hope! 

Is this the same idiot brother who ruined breakfast?

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

Is this the same idiot brother who ruined breakfast?

Yep. His idiocy seems to run the gamut, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver